Crime & Safety in Portland>Question Details

kaseynreynol…, Renter in Portland, OR

Relocating from MN to Portland.

Asked by kaseynreynolds, Portland, OR Thu May 30, 2013

I'm relocating to Portland in the next month or so and need recommendations for a neighborhood! I'm a single, 28yo female looking for a very walkable neighborhood, close to shopping, bars, restaurants, etc. that is safe!

Answers

12
You don't mention if you will be buying or renting? Buying close in will be more expensive but location you always pay for. Renting is the same higher cost for location. Probably figure $1.50-$2 per foot or more depending on size and location. Go to http://www.Portlandmaps.com and look under crime stats on top bar but this can be misleading because they lump all crimes together. So take NW Portland up on NW 23 many shops, restaurants and hospital but a high crime rate for car break-ins but not much else and a great safe place to live. Many renters and no garages so there is really only street parking. Great transportation light rail and bus to town. Let me know how I can help you further? Good luck you will love it here. Tom Inglesby, Broker, RE/MAX Equity Group
Bring your winter clothes...
OR _
Perhaps - The Best Choice? Maybe?
Considering the Sunshine State ---

Come to South Florida!!
Web Reference: http://www.garyyoungman.com
There are many great neighborhoods for young and single people in Portland. Are you looking to buy or rent? Both the real estate and rental markets are pretty crazy right now, especially in the trendy neighborhoods like NE and SE Portland. Maybe your best bet would be to secure a rental in a good neighborhood that is not as sought after to start with. The South Waterfront would be my suggestion. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
First, bring lots of money. Second, lower your expectations on what you get for your money. Third, taxes are high, so be sure to save up for your property taxes from your high income tax reduced paycheck. Then.....enjoy, since despite these drawbacks, Portland is a great city to LIVE in.
http://www.walkscore.com/OR/Portland is a great resource. I work with a few super agents that I would be happy to recommend. Feel free to contact me I am here to help!
Congratulations!

I'm 31 and lived in the NW for the past 4 years. I have loved it and always felt safe. However, there are many neighborhoods on the east side that have great ambiance, walkable, trendy and great restaurants and neighborhood bars. A great place to get acquainted with different neighborhoods online is http://www.neighborhoodnotes.com.

Let me know if you have more questions and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
Almost all the neighborhoods on the east and west side close in to downtown will serve you well. They also tend to be the most expensive neighborhoods. If you give an agent your best idea of price range and home criteria they will be able to help narrow down the search to maybe just a couple neighborhoods.
Kasey, you have some excellent suggestions for close-in east side and west side 'hoods. Will you be renting or buying? I'm asking because I help people with the purchase of real estate, but also own some rentals. As a single woman, I walk the streets of Portland both in the daytime and at night and feel very safe. Of course, I'm aware and know the areas, so plan my walks accordingly. That is one of the many beauty's of Portland but you do have to be smart about it!! Portland also has an awesome public transportation system.
Call or write with any questions!
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
503-709-0802
jj@janeesejackson.com
Web Reference: http://fabulousportland.com
I will be renting, and am pretty flexible with location but would like to be near public transportation and things to do within walking distance.
Flag Thu May 30, 2013
Portland is divided East and West by the Willamette River. On the West side the most popular areas for walkable with restaurants and shopping would be the Alphabet District, better known as NW 23rd. Most of the apartment/condos are in older, historic buildings usually not more than 6 stories high. Streets names are alphabetical so you would probably want to consider rentals from NW Couch to Savier from 17th to 25th Ave.
Just below the Alphabet District is The Pearl. Pearl is made up of converted warehouses and newer hi rise buidlings. You can expect rents to be higher in the Pearl. Look at rentals from Couch to Overton and from Park Ave to 14th Ave. Avoid the condos on the river if you like to walk. While safe during the day it's a little removed from the Pearl and can feel desolate in the evening. Probably best to avoid Old Town, while there are a fewer newer buildings and the lower rent might seem appealing - I wouldn't recommend it.
There are some hi rise towers and smaller historic bldgs in the downtown area from SW 17th to Vista that might interest you. Not too far from 23rd Ave or the Pearl but also not outside your door.

The Eastside has some great areas as well. Consider Hawthorne, Belmont, Alberta and Division/Clinton neighborhoods. If you stay between 15th Ave and 39th Ave in SE and between 15th and 33rd Ave in NE you will stay in the hub of restaurants and bars.

If I can answer any other questions - give me a shout!
Thank you so much! Your suggestions are very helpful! One more question, what is street parking like in the Alphabet district? A lot of the buildings are older, and don't have dedicated parking lots/ramps. Is street parking difficult on a daily basis? I'll be in Portland this weekend to check things out. Thanks again!
Flag Fri Jun 7, 2013
Multnomah area in SW Portland is very popular with lots of shops and restaurants. Sellwood in SE Portland has a lot of antique shops and beautiful older homes and Lake Oswego, just south of the city also has a great downtown area with a lake on one side and the Willamette River on the other! My husband is from Minnesota and loves living here!
Most places close in tend to be pretty safe. For walkability and safety I vote for Irvington and Hawthorne on the east side and Pearl and NW 23rd (Alphabet District) on the west side. The crime statistics can be found on Portland Maps. Welcome and enjoy our great city. I like to call it a Big Town.