Crime & Safety in Bradenton>Question Details

Seeking suns…, Home Buyer in the cold!

Question......relocating to Lakewood Ranch and......

Asked by Seeking sunshine, the cold! Sun Feb 24, 2008

Relocating to Lakewood Ranch area. Just got off of a website that looked like the Bradenton area is TERRIBLE, gangs, graffiti, crime, drugs, teenagers highjacking people, hanging at the malls.....I could go on and on and on.
Please tell me all that you know about this area.......is this also true for here? They say all of Bradenton is slowly getting worse. We live near Minneapolis, and know that just because you live in the city does not mean all area's are bad, but some are. Please tell us anything you know, our biggest concern is our kids.....will they be safe, we are in a small school in a little country town with NO crime........HELP ....... Thanks so much

Answers

19
Lakewood Ranch has much to offer. Restaurants, Shopping, Fitness Centers, YMCA, Golf, Swimming, Tennis etc. Everything is right at your disposal from Grocery Stores to Dry Cleaners, UPS, Banks,Drug Stores. You never have to leave ! There will soon be a huge mall to write home about with Anchor Stores such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms & many more w/ name brand Restaurants for your Dining Pleasure! Don't miss the fun. Come down & enjoy our Sunsets and Fabulous Sandy Beaches.
Web Reference: http://www.jimsoda.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 4, 2008
I live in Lakewood Ranch and know it well. The crime rate is virtually nil. The police reports are public on incidents. Not perfect but a wonderful family community. Excellent values and homes. Parks, dogs, kids...good schools. Bradenton is a long way from Lakewood Ranch....our mailing address is now Lakewood Ranch, FL not Bradenton also. Leave your doors unlocked? No, we don't but some here do. What I can tell you unequivocably is that LWR is growing, huge mall not too far and stores opening every month...this is a great place. It is paradise. I know Minneapolis and you are right, not all areas are bad...LWR is a treasure. Check the http://www.LakewoodRanch.com website for more information on us. Hey, come on down...the living is wonderful.
Cindy Morton, MBA ePro TRC P.A.
REALTOR®
941.773.7737
Web Reference: http://www.CindyMorton.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 22, 2008
Bradenton is approximately 10 miles from Lakewood Ranch. I still do not get as to why Lakewood Ranch has Bradenton address. Lakewood Ranch is on the border of Manatee and Sarasota counties, an upscale community with country clubs and golf courses. It is a new development, and looks like may eventually triple is size, as they will continue building eastward, perhaps eventually incorporating as a separate entity. Lakewood Ranch was also ground zero for the housing bubble, with many homes built in 2005, at the very peak of pricing. Now sales in the area are distressed, the values are falling, there is a number of foreclosures and ARMs resetting. The area's total ARM financing is 75%, which is very high compared to other areas. Do not listen to hungry realtors prowling this site - right now is the absolute wrong time to buy. I suggest you rent for at least a couple of years, get familiar with the community and surrounding areas. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
I have lived in Sarasota/Bradenton area for 18 years. Graduated HS and college here. My husband and I have lived in the LWR area for 5 years now. We have watched the community grow. The community that we live in (greenbrook area of LWR) is wonderful. Very community oriented and lots of activities for the family.

Yes, with any town there are places to AVOID. LWR is not one of them. If you have children you should not move to the Venice area. After 8 pm the town is DEAD!! Growing up in the area I would never move there! Parrish is small but a good place to live. More country type feel.

You need to figure out what you want and than go talk to people in the churches, local gyms and restaurants. This is how you know you are getting the TRUTH about an area!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 29, 2008
Hi Alicia. I see this thread is many years old. I am currently looking at moving to Florida from Illinois and am interested in LWR. Do you still recommend it and live there? looking for a 4 bedroom and wanting to spend low 200's or below 200 if possible. Wanting to be around lots of families in a safe area and with good schools. Are the property taxes high there? What do you think they would run on a 2300 sq ft home? thanks for all the help Kelli
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
No matter where you live, crime is a very important question... My advice is always the same....
If you are truly concerned? If you want to really know about crime and exactly what you can expect...
There is truly only one thing you can do! Please... Call local law enforcement!!!
they know exactly what the story is in your area and they have nothing to hide or any hidden agenda, etc...
I know it might sound too simple or your afraid to call.... But please call!
Here is a Link to the Local sherrif' soffice site.
http://manateesheriff.com/wps/portal/
You can run specific searches there to see recient activity and area statistics.
Web Reference: http://www.GulfsideLand.com
I am a Bradenton resident for about 15 years now. In contrary to Lakewood Ranch which was build from stretch during the real estate boom on a former cow paddock in east Manatee County, Bradenton is a grown for decades.

Like many cities there are extremely nice areas and of course a few areas which are not as nice as they should be. Bradenton has improved over the last 10 years and West Bradenton for instance, is a save and beautiful place with many lovely and prestigious neighborhoods along the Manatee River towards Perico and Anna Maria Island. Just to mention 3: Riverview Drive with luxury estates, Wares Creek Neighborhood with Key West style 1920 homes and Hawthorn Park which shows the ammenities of quite newly built homes. If you want to be close to the beach and character Bradenton is the place to go.

The nicest beaches are nearby and of course there is a Country Club in Bradenton was well. No need to go far, far east....

The schools are also excellent. Just get a knowledgeable broker who knows what you want and decide yourself.

Hope to see you soon!
Axel Weiss, Broker

Weiss & Weiss International
Bradenton / Sarasota Office
PO Box 14222
Bradenton, FL 34205
USA
http://www.bradentonbroker.com
(941) 866 1666
I'm thinking as a business owner, you might want to check your spelling and grammar before posting where the general public can view what you say......then again, I'm old school and I judge by what I see and not by what I hear.....
Flag Mon Dec 2, 2013
not to sound vague but crime happens everywhere. I prosonally have lived in florida for since 1986 nd the only time I have every had an issue is Xmas of 1986 on Longboat Key my car got broken into and Longboat Key never has any crime . I now livein Bradenton and never have had an issue at all. Lakewood Ranch does it have crime absolutely but so does Sarasota, Orlando ,etc.... In generl through I have always felt safe walking around even in the so-called bad areas of our town. do I lock my car doors yes, however I can tell you this I once went out of town and forgot to lock my front door and I was away for 1 week when I can back I found my front door wide open and come to find out the wind blew it open and nothing was taken nothing for 1 week, my car was not in my driveway so no reason why no one would not enter my home but no one did.
hope this helps. Lakewood Ranch is a wonderful community, i know about 12 families alone who live there and never have had an issue but I'm sure you can find people who have had issues.
If you need help I would suggest going to the local police dept. and finding out what the crime rate is in the area and what kind of crims are occurring.
to tell you something else I found out recently that the gangs in Sarasota/Bradenton area over the last 10 years has increased like 45% I never knew we had gangs here really did not know i've lived here over 20 years never knew this. I grew up in the northeast and saw gangs all the time and if were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time you should watch out. I have never felt that here at all and I'm 42 yrs. old and i always look around and i'm aware of my surroundings always. If you need help purchasing in the area do not hestitate to give me a call
talk to you soon
David Leventhal
Web Reference: http://www.floridahomes.cc
There is Bradenton and there is Lakewood Ranch. There is night and there is day. There is west and there is east. Just spend one day in Lakewood Ranch and you'll understand why your concerns will disappear.

P.S. The picture that you made of Bradenton is unfair to 90% of the community. There are tons of areas in Bradenton that are as peaceful and as lovely as Lakewood Ranch. But as you will see by yourself, you will never regret relocating to LWR.
lwr is truely the most awesome place....btw we live in sarasota...
Flag Fri Feb 21, 2014
We moved here 7 years ago from a small town in Ohio.Every city has its less desirable areas. We live in Lakewood Ranch and I love it! I UNDERSTAND TOTALLY how you feel about your kids- I am a mom myself! I think you would not be disappointed in our community! If you have any questions, please call me anytime! I would love to help! :)
http://manateesheriff.com/wps/portal/
Hi, Lakewood Ranch is a great place for families. There are ample communities with price ranges to suit everyone's needs. You and your children will love it here because there is so much to offer everyone and the area has its own shopping area, supermarkets, restaurants, businesses, hospital, etc. You won't go wrong in this area. When I take my clients to Lakewood Ranch for the first time, I made a point to drive them around to show off the Main Street, theaters, shops and restaurants. As Michelle suggested, a stop at the Welcome Center gives you an overview of the entire area. Lakewood Ranch has plenty of parks , hiking trails, lakes, community centers with organized activities for the kids, polo and so on. This community was a model planned community when it first was designed and built and the area is so popular, it continues to grow. You would be very happy to bring your family to Lakewood Ranch - a very safe environment for everyone. I am sure everyone in your family would settle into the community easily.
Hi, in my opinion, Lakewood Ranch is not Bradenton. I have lived here since 1997. I suggest you take a tour via Greg Spring, Community Specialist at Lakewood Ranch's tour guide center. He can be reached via greg.spring@lakewoodranch.com. Also, there is a website, http://www.lakewoodranch.com and http://www.lwrdv.com, local paper at http://www.yourobserver.com. I moved here so my kids could ride their bikes to school, and I was looking for a neighborhood atmosphere. Lakewood Ranch is a master planned community with neighborhoods, parks, nature trails, retail shops, cinema, restaurants, business and commercial parks too. It's a much desired area to live in, much different than the rest of Bradenton......
I hope this info helps, you are best to come down and take a ranch tour with Greg.
I stumbled onto this post. I was curious what web site you discovered that portrayed bradenton's problems. All communites have issues, and the news likes to focus in on crime, violence, etc.
I have lived in Port Charlotte, Venice, Englewood, Sarasota, and now Bradenton. I wouldn't move again.
Manatee County has the infrastructure to handle the growth that is coming.
East County(LWR) is like a different town to downtown and west.

Good luck with your search and move.
Web Reference: http://www.manateemoves.com
I am not sure of your budget; however, if you are moving to Florida, I have to say, that Sarasota is the place to be. The beaches, the vibe, the arts, the culture, and the schools are all top notch. Drop me a line if you want some more info. Good Luck! :-)
I am new and live in LR and love it. The elementary schools are great and the middle schools seem to be also.. My boys go to LRH and there are some issues there-but will be at any HS. We do feel safe in LWR. The bad parts of Bradenton are near HWY 41. We avoid that area. If you want more hometown feeling, you might try Parrish, FL-not too far away. Kay
We lived in Northwest Bradenton (close to Riverview Blvd) for over a year. We used to leave our doors unlocked and NEVER once had a problem or felt like crime was a problem. I think once you get into the "interior" parts of Bradenton there are problems. It all depends what you are looking for - if you want a planned community I've heard terrific things about Lakewood Ranch. If you prefer a little more charm and want to be close to the water and beaches Northwest Bradenton is a great choice. I know the schools by our house are terrific (we moved back to Maryland for my husband's job and our kids go to private school here but they would have attended public if we would haved stayed). If you are serious our house is going back on the market in May (our renters with option to buy are not able to fulfill their obligations).

We really enjoyed Bradenton, it's a rare find in Florida to find a city that people are actually "from". It's beautiful, down-to-earth and if it wasn't for my husband's job we would still be there.

Good luck and enjoy the warmth!
Lakewood Ranch is an awesome family neighborhood. I am a realtor here and we specialize in that area. The "city" of Bradenton is much different than the town of Lakewood Ranch. They have more family focused activities than any town I have ever heard of. There is something practically every weekend that is focused on the community, be it art shows, family nights out when they close down Main Street to vehicles, Party on the Piazza-they close down San Marco Plaza to vehicles and have a party with live music, food, etc. Please don't fret, you have made an excellent decision. If you have any very specific questions please feel free to visit our website or send me an email!
Web Reference: http://www.teamcashi.com
Seeking Sun

Try looking a little further south in the Venice area. Venice has repeatedly been recognized as "One of the country's top relocation destinations" and "Best places to retire." These are national destinctions that are based on educational opportunity, employment, safety, climate, beaches, and social & cultural experiences. You won't be disappointed......

We welcome the opportunity to share what we love....talking about the Venice area.

Good luck with your search.

The "Eckler Team"
Centurey 21 Almar & Associates
Venice, Fl 34285
941-408-5363