Crime & Safety in Fremont>Question Details

Dj123, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Planning to buy a home close to paseo padre and Fremont.It is near darwin drive,Is it a safe place to live?

Asked by Dj123, Fremont, CA Thu Jul 12, 2012

I have checked the crime info on and would appreciate if someone who is living in/around this area can share some information from thier personal experience.

Overall, Realtors are prohibited by law from telling you whether or not any specific neighborhood is safe. It’s called “steering” and we are prohibited by our code of ethics and federal law from providing such information. Here are a couple posts that explain more:

NO STEERING ALLOWED: 3 Important Facts To Know As A Buyer…

Don’t Get ‘Steered’ in the Wrong Direction…

However, we CAN tell you where to go to get information. In your case, crime statistics, go to the following sites:
I live in that area. I feel it is as safe as you will find in Fremont. A call to the police department may give you a better idea, based on the number of calls to this area
How do you define safe – as in a “safe place to live”?

I know someone who lives across the street from a police station who has experienced a residential burglary. There is no guarantee of total safety no matter where you live.

The area that you described is, in general, as safe as any area in Fremont.
I had responded and blogged about the answer to this question

When people ask me this question, I generally refer them to various sites. - This is probably my favorite. I entered my home address in Alameda CA, chose the type of crime activity I wanted to see (for example, homicide, robbery, assault) and “layered” them. This is what it shows.

Neighborhood Scout --- here’s an introductory video on how to navigate their site that provides information on the neighborhood, public schools, real estate values appreciation, crime rates, and even find a real estate agent. Some of the information is free, while others are by subscription.

Trulia also has a terrific map that even provides dates and types of criminal activity within the area.

Sperling’s Best Places has some good information, too, and allows you to compare cities at different angles: schools, climate, cost of living, crime rates, etc.

Bottom line --you have to do your own research based on your own understanding of what is "safe".

Hi, you could ask the nieghbors near the home but, your best bet is to ask the police how the area is.....Realtors are not allowed to tell you an area is good or bad, it is a violation of realtor rules, called stearing.