Crime & Safety in 76010>Question Details

Edd, Renter in 76010

On what grounds can a tenant breaks a lease contract and get 100% of the deposit?

Asked by Edd, 76010 Thu Sep 15, 2011

I recently moved into an apartment (less than a month), my car has been broken into, made away with my audio system and other valuable items, I always smell smoke in my living room from the neighborhood. crime is very high in this area.

Help the community by answering this question:


It's very tough to break a lease. read about your rights on here.

Sorry about your situation.

Naima Sumner
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 17, 2011
You need to check your lease.
Also go talk with the property manager.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 16, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
All is governed by the executed lease agreement best confer with an attorney

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Edd it doesnt sound like a good situation, yiou need to review your rental agreement and see what your options are as far if there is a release in the lease. if not you can write teh landlord and request out, you will need to document your problems. In depends how your landlord reacts. You may be allowed out of your lease but lose your deposit at best he uses it as yoru 2nd months rent and use that money for a new place.... go to google and google your states landlord tenant laws and see if there is one that protects you. good luck working things out
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Everything that you mention are factors which are not under the control of your landlord, therefore they can neither remedy them nor can they be held in breach of contract.

Talk to your landlord about letting you out of your lease. They are probably not under obligation to do so and may want money to release you from your contract.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Before you do anything you need to thoroughly document each incident that you have a complaint about. Once you have your ducks in a row and on paper with pictures if possible, you need to get some legal advice tailored to your individual situation and lease contract.

Legal advise can be expensive so if you don’t believe you can afford your own lawyer, contact your local legal aid office and the tenants’ rights organizations. It may cost you more than you want, but being sued by your landlord for breaking your lease could be much more costly. If you don’t want to pay the rest of the rent that your lease agreement committed you to, the only reasonable way to approach this is through the legal process. If you are in the military, make sure you inform your attorney that you may be due consideration through the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer