Crime & Safety in Parkesburg>Question Details

George Heinr…, Home Buyer in South Philadelphia E...

New to the area and surprised by Coatesville

Asked by George Heinrich, South Philadelphia East, Philadelphia, PA Tue Oct 23, 2007

We just moved out to this area from Central Michigan. We went and viewed a house in Coatesville and were downright alarmed by the neighborhood. What are some nice, safe towns along the Amtrak line west of Coatesville?

Answers

13
I would suggest moving East of Coatesville if this is finacially resonable for you and your family. The Main Line of Philadelphia (along the R5 rail) is home to some of the nicest towns on the East Coast, aswell as some of the countries top school districts. Gladwynne, PA (heart of the main line) is one of the top 5 wealthiest towns in the United States.
Move-in ready, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath home for sale at 487 Washington Ave. Parkesburg, PA. Family friendly neighborhood, Octorara Area School District, Amtrak Station within 1/2 mile. Property values expected to increase with the future Victory Brewing Co restaurant.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
Parkesburg Home for sale in the 700 block of W. 1st Ave. Very short walking distant to Amtrak.
Also surprised, but in a good way!

I've been working with the town council on a couple of projects. I must say they are a class act. I enjoy their company, their openness and the plans and dreams they have for the town. Things are bound to get better. I truely believe they are on track to it. Add a little water, give a little time.
Where to start? I grew up in Chadds Ford PA..30-40 minutes from Coatesville. I have been a Realtor for over 6 years now. I snubbed Coatesville because of the crime and stories in the paper of guns, violence and drugs while I was growing up before I became a Realtor..Not to mention the HIGH taxes from the School District.A result of mismanagement and a few embezzlement scandals.The list goes on.Yes the homes are cheaper.Clearly you saw that on the internet.Yes, there are many many good areas to live in the 19320 zip code of Coatesville.Mainly the outskirts.Coatesville City is great for the 1st 8 to 10 blocks in my clients opinions.I have sold there for the last 2 years and most of them are very happy.Yes it is getting better.But the taxes will always be high.Would I live there? No I don't think so, because I don't care for the School District, as I have 2 young children.Sure there is great teachers.But it is still a City, and in the city there is always things to consider.Thorndale is Better, still close to the Amtrak, still Coatesville addy.Good Luck.Look into Downingtown,West Chester or Exton, and Parkesburg is not so bad I guess.Certainly better.But still Coatesville area.
You shouldn't be alarmed this area is up and coming. Parksburg is not that far off from Coatesville with no Businesses in the town and run down buildings you should really look at the area as a whole and if living in the city of Coatesville is not for you. Try looking along West Chester road in Coatesville lots of new construction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2007
Come back in a few years. Coatesvill is getting better and better. New condos going up in town, new developments are planned for the steel mill property and downtown to the east. The list goes on and on. Just not right now, however, if you are an investor.. hurry up. Have I got a place for you!
Yes, Coatesville Borough can be scary (parts). "Coatesville" covers several townships including East and West Bradford and Valley Townships which are actually VERY nice neighborhoods. I just listed my brother's townhouse in Valley Crossing at under $200K - a newer townhome development that also has some single homes. I have to advertise it as Valley Twp just to generate interest. Valley Twp is on the south side of Rt 30, not west. The further West you go, the less you see. Probably East of Coatesville would have more options for you. I know that area very well if I can help in any way! Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.dannidewoody.com
Yes George, that is my personal opinion of Parkesburg but there are always the negative points. There are so many things to consider and you are in the passengers seat with relocation. A new area and no real feel for the area is so difficult. I could spend an hour talking about the pros and cons, local trends and the area in general. The last thing you need is an uninformed decision that you regret in a year when you are truly informed. If you have that hour, or better yet a day to tour the area and see some houses, click my link and send me an email directly. I am on my company's relocation team as well as the internet leads team and would be an asset in your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2007
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2007
You found out first hand why we don't even drive thru the 'ville. that was so polite.."downright alarmed"
Try nice safe Parkesburg. We have no crime, (unless you count cow tipping). And if you want your kids to go to college, we have Octorara schools. I know of three other mid-westerners that have moved here in the last year alone. And we have Amtrak too.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2007
Thanks Howard...would you say that Parkesburg is a safe, friendly type of town?
-George Heinrich
Amtrak has stops west of Coatesville in Parkesburg and then Lancaster so if you are looking for more of the small town feel, Parkesburg would be a good choice and there are lots of nice houses for sale there, new and existing in all price ranges. If you need an agent familiar with the area, let me know. I would be glad to help you.