Crime & Safety in Pontiac>Question Details

Nadia Wilton, Home Buyer in Pontiac, MI

My husband was relocated to Pontiac from CA. We've heard bad things about the area, where would be the best and safest place to find a home?

Asked by Nadia Wilton, Pontiac, MI Fri Apr 20, 2012

Answers

10
Hi, you can visit http://www.HomeFair.com and click on the "city reports" section for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. You can even compare zipcodes, great feature. Another option is http://www.spotcrime.com and even contacting the local police dept.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representitive
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Interesting responses as most Realtors understand Fair Housing and equal housing rights to all individuals. We do not discriminate but we can direct you to sources of information as you have requested about the safety or crime rates in any area. I think some of your answers are stating we cannot identify "Best" but we can provide you sources of information related to crime that has been reported. The city of Pontiac had it's own police department until this past year. The city of Pontiac is now part of the Oakland County Sheriff's Department jurisdiction.
Duties to the Public

Article 10
REALTORS® shall not deny equal professional services to any person for reasons of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, or sexual orientation. REALTORS® shall not be parties to any plan or agreement to discriminate against a person or persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin or sexual orientation. (Amended 1/11)
Nadia,

Here is a link for you. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/pontiac/crime/
There are several areas to consider depending on your husband's employment location. We would be happy to assist you.

Kay Pearson, CRS
Associate Broker
Real Estate One - Max Broock
31 S. Main Street
Clarkston, MI 48346
248-860-0366
KayPearson@MaxBroock.com

Agents are not allowed to answer questions like that. But what I would do is call the local police departments of the cities that you may be interested in and ask some questions. Also check web sites such as the ones below and do your own research;

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1645_3501_4621-25744--…

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/crime/

Contact me and I can help you search for properties in the areas that will be close to his job. I know the area well and can show you homes that will fit into your criteria. My contact information is below so please contact me.

HAIG
Elias Realty
(248) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com
It is unlawful for a real estate agent to comment on neighborhoods or cities to a prospective client. It is called steering.

An agent can however provide you with websites providing information about schools, crime, diversity, etc.

The best thing for you do to is to contact a real estate agent and have that agent show you different areas that would suit your needs, based on the information you provide.

If I can be of any service, feel free to contact me at 248 935-0335.

Mark T. Mergener
Nadia,

I worked in Pontiac a s the Planning Director for over 20 years and know the City and its people like the back of my hand. I know every square inch of the city and retired from there a year ago. I am now a realtor with real estate one. Please call me and I can help you find a place in Pontiac to suit your needs and be safe.

Madhu Oberoi
madhuoberoi@hotmail.com
248-875-6739
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 21, 2012
Just a comment to all my fellow agents on all the great answers. I follow a lot of Q and A on a bunch of sites and can't believe some of the answers. I was looking forward to how this question was answered. Nadia hope you find a great home. I would recommend any of these agents.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 21, 2012
Not sure if you are still looking for information but I live in Pontiac so I thought I'd answer. Safety in Pontiac really depends on the location. There are many safe and friendly neighborhoods. I have lived in the area for about 10 years. The neighbors look out for each other and keep an eye on things which is not something I've seen in other areas I've lived. It can be an area where you keep an eye out around you and take care after dark but I think if you stay out of the area where drugs are prevelant you won't have too much trouble. The teens are generally the thing we worry about the most. We did have a vehicle broken in to so I guess part of the answer depends on your comfort level etc. Hope that helps you or someone else that might read this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Nadia,
As I mentioned before I can help you with any questions about Pontiac. Having worked in Pontiac for several years, I know the City, the people, City Ordinances, codes and City Officials. If you need help in finding a place in Pontiac do contact me.
Madhu Oberoi
248-875-6739
Thank you everybody for the great answers. I understand your hands are tied on some subject matters, but the sites listed were a grear help. Thank you.