Crime & Safety in Long Beach>Question Details

Jjamied, Home Buyer in Long Beach, CA

My family is being relocated to Long Beach.Is it possible to find a single family home for under 400,000 3 bed 2 bath in safe neighborhood-no condo?

Asked by Jjamied, Long Beach, CA Wed Nov 30, 2011

Answers

27
Debbie Lovrich’s answer
Hi Jjamied,
As you can see from the answers below, you can indeed get what you're looking for in Long Beach. In fact, you'll have your choice!
As a local REALTOR, I can also show you your choices of schools, parks and recreation areas that may also influence your search.
We have a great lifestyle here in Long Beach -" the last affordable beach city!" I'm sure you'll love it too!
I know relocations often take much longer than originally planned. If you have not yet found a REALTOR, let me know and I'd be happy to show you some properties that meet your family's needs!
Good luck to you,
Debbie Lovrich
(562)706-2235
DRE #01902851
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Hi Jjamied,
The answer is absolutely yes. At present there are 117 three bed two bath homes for sale in the broad area of Long Beach. Of course defining safe areas is somewhat a judgement call, and you would need to work with your Realtor to develop appropriate understanding before selection.

I am happy to lend a 'Hand' on this matter!
Ian Hand
Web Reference: http://ianhand.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 30, 2011
Hello Jjamied,

With so many homes being sold as distressed sales (REO) or (short sales) there are opportunities for buyers today that did not exist a few years ago.

For a young family I am partial to the Los Altos area of Long Beach.

You should also consider North Orange County.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
714-293-1151
Kawaindpayne@gmail.com
If I were you, I'd rent first to get a feel for the area and then look for a home. In your price range, you will find what you want - however it is difficult to describe the neighborhoods. Long Beach is so diverse.

Near the beach in Belmont Shore and Alamitos Bay are nice. Other safe neighborhoods include all of zip code 90808, Bixby Knolls, Los Altos, South of Conant, El Dorado Park, the entire area near Cal State Long Beach, and Naples.
STAY AWAY from North Long Beach, the Eastside, Westside, and downtown areas. I wish you luck in your endeavors.
Jjamied,
I live in Long Beach now and was also shopping for a home here before I gave up and decided to switch my home search focus to Vegas (more house for the buck). But...I was looking at homes under 200K as was always wishing that I had that extra 100-200K. For 400K, you should definitely be able to find a 3/2 home. Some safe areas that don't cost as much as some as say, Belmont Shore, Craftsman Village and Naples Island. For safety, with that budget, you could try the areas just northeast and southeast of Long Beach City College campus on Carson Street (generally bigger houses than further south). Also, try California Heights but make sure you are north of Wardlow Street. When you Google or street view addresses, basically anything you see east of Redondo Ave. and south of 7th Street is a great area as well as the area off of Alamitos Ave. and south of 4th Street. FYI. I did notice quite a few auction, foreclosure and notice of default properties near Broadway and in the Belmont Shore and Colorado Lagoon areas as well, if you're not scared off by additional paperwork and possible waiting for a home (these are a deal because they are generally "worth" 600K and up). The other areas that others have listed are good areas as well (not sure about South of Conant suggestion though) but, just wanted to give you some alternatives that are more around the action of the city. Good Luck with your search and welcome to LB!
I can refer you to a Broker in Long Beach one that will take good care of you. Contact me at jnjfost@cs.com
under 400k for a safe and nice family neighborhoon? .. its going to be a challenge. i'm not a realtor but i am a fellow buyer who is in the market to buy in a safe family neighborhood in LB where i grew up. I currently reside in Orange County so i'd like to make the move by the summer.

looks like you recieved a lot of responses from realtors and yest they are experts- but i know Long Beach so well and as a person who is starting a family the neighborhoods that are safe and have good schools(Elem & Jr) at the size that you are looking in ... i am not finind un 400k. you may consider getting a property that is going to need upgrading and some work. My budget is 520k and that is what i have resorted to because even at that price i'm finding it difficult. Finding a property that with a large lot- to allow room for expansion and with decent bathrooms which i can live with for a while. I have budget to upgrade kitchen and living space.
Neighborhoods to consider in LB:

Los Altos
Plaza
S. of Conant
Carson Park
Bixby Heights/Bixby Terrace
Lakewood Village

good luck!
Most excellent choice of staying in Long Beach! We have a little bit of everything for everyone in this town. I would suggest checking out the area around Long Beach State University, which is the quieter "suburban" section of the city, for an affordable 3/2 family home.

Check out LIfe in Los Altos area at http://www.facebook.com/LifeinLosAltos before you arrive and best of luck.
Congrats! Long beach is a fun city and there are hundreds of options within your price range. If you register on my website you can enter all thespecific home features you are seeking and search MLS listings. Please feel free to contact me anytime. Best wishes to you and your family! :)
As the local agents have established there are plenty of local areas that fit your request and when start escrow on a home locally call the Long Beach Home Inspector

Fred Sweezer Sr.
http://www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com
1-562-234-2689
Hi Jjamied, yes there are! You'd be surprised what a great deal you can get in Long Beach and in the surrounding communities. I'd be happy to help you, so put my experience to work for you! Born and raised in Long Beach, with over 22 years local market experience representing relocating buyers just like you. Please feel free to contact me anytime and we can get started before you arrive. I can be reached quickly at johnzimmerman@remax.net or 562-706-1406.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

John Zimmerman
Re/Max Real Estate Specialists

CA DRE LIC # 01052025
The answer is yes. The biggest part of it is getting qualified. I work with an excellent lender who goes beyond the normal to help people. Contact me or my partner Deb Weaver and we can help.
Web Reference: http://kwrealtors.jigsy.com
I think it's best to answer with a question. Where are you moving from? It would help me to answer your question if I knew where you are coming from. That way I could recommend neighborhoods that will feel like home to you. Long Beach is very diverse with homes ranging from $200,000 to well into the millions.
Yes, there are many neighborhoods available in that price range. "Good" neighborhood is a relative term. What's good to one might not be good to another. So most importantly is to find out what is really important to you about buying a home. Feel free to contact me.

Christel Prather
MetroCal Brokers
562-972-8512
Low 400's but the property will need some work. Lakewood might be a good alternative. It's adjacent to Long Beach and the prices are typically 5-10% less for comparable homes/areas. I'm a Long Beach native (born and raised) and have been selling real estate here over the last 10+ years. Please give me a call with any questions you may have. 562.961.1492...

-Chris Kensinger
There are plenty of great agents on here that can help you. As a Real Estate Appraiser, I can give you an unbiased refferal of a a few if you need them.

feel free to call me 562-673-1138
There are a number of really nice neighborhoods that offer very nice 3 bed/ 2 bath homes in the $400,000 range. Long Beach's College Park area is a nice area, near park, Golf, and very good schools. If you need to keep it closer to $300,000 it will be more difficult, but still possible. What other amenities are you looking for?
Now is a great time of year to get a good selection.
Call me if I can be of assistance.

John Schneiter
Maverick Investments
(562) 856-9300 xt.33
It looks like you got your answer for Long Beach, Yes this is possible.

*********** I just wanted to add, that you should also consider 2 neighboring cities, Los Alamitos or Cypress, where if you have children they could go to the Blue Ribbon schools. Every school in the Los Alamitos district is an award winning school. I live in this area & went to all of the schools myself growing up.

I'd be happy to show you both areas & talk to you about the differences. Shoot me an email directly, I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine. You can also click on my web link & start looking around in these cities.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
Main Street Realtors
Yes, there are homes on the market that may work for you in Long Beach as well as in some surrounding communities. Long Beach is a big city with very diverse neighborhoods and that can mean that looking online can be confusing if you're not familiar with the various neighborhoods. If you'd like to chat about exactly what you're looking for in a neighborhood and what your specific criteria are, feel free to call or email me. If you're planning to be in the Long Beach area, I'd be happy to meet with you and help you with your search.
Best of luck with your move!
Shannon Jones
562-896-2456
Web Reference: http://www.ShowMeHome.com
Of course it is. I would be glad to help you find and close on the home of your dreams.
Web Reference: http://www.buylakewood.com
Yes it is most definitly possible. The question is what are you looking for in your new home. What kind of amenities do you want? Best Luck, Joshua Rabinovitz.
Hello jjamied

I can definitely search for properties in long beach that meet your criteria. Please feel free to give me a call / email and we can talk more about property, locations and security.
DJ Bonner
562-572-4203
djbonner@KW.com
The short answer is YES. A longer answer would be that the focus must be to find out what is really important to you about your new home and then help you find the best fit. You might also want to consider surrounding areas like Lakewood, where you will find great neighborhoods and good schools too.

As a 16 year resident, it would be my pleasure to show you around the fine City of Long Beach and help you choose a neighborhood that works for you. Let me know if I can help in any way. Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
myrealestateanswers@gmail.com
http://shel-lee.listingbook.com
Hi Jamied, that would be no problem at all. I can find you many homes under $400K as well. I live in Long Beach and know all the areas well. Lakewood might be an option for you also We can place you right away on what is referred to as an automated search. This is where we place your specific criteria into the MLS system and properties come automatically to your E-mail and the system creates a client Gateway that monitors and updates you daily. It works like a Website with your inventory in it. Its free and takes 5 minutes to set-up. It's a very modern system with mapping systems, statistics and detailed information. Please be in front of a computer when you can call me to set that up.

Also, if you have not been pre-qualified for a loan yet, I have several very good lenders I can recommend to you.

Thank-You.

Peter Solomon / Realtor
T.N.G. Real Estate Consultants
562-354-6059
562-684-0326-Fax
License-01375529
http://www.soldbypeter.com/
Web Reference: http://www.soldbypeter.com
Yes, it's possible.Please contact me at (800)578-0751 or email me at ludy@tarbell.com.
I will be glad to help you with.

Thank you.
Ludy Ivonina.
Tarbell.Realtors
Absolutely. There are many homes to choose from in nice areas of Long Beach that can be had for at or just under that $400,000 price point. This is especially possible if you are interested in utilizing an Energy Efficient Mortgage or Streamline 203K loan that will allow you borrow additional funds on top of your mortgage to do energy efficiency and cosmetic updates to the home. Most home at that price point in the nicer areas of Long Beach will ultimately need a little work or TLC. These amazing mortgage products are a great way to purchase a home that needs a little work and finance that upgrade all at one low interest rate.

In my experience, this is often the best way to go for folks that wish to purchase an more affordable house, but still want the benefits of a higher-performing, freshly updated home. You end up with a home that is healthier, more efficient, and worth more than when you bought it!

Feel free to get in touch if you would like more information regarding these great loan products, or would like info about available homes in Long Beach. Thanks!
Good morning,
Yes, it is possible. I would have some additional questions for you. I can be reached at your convenience through my contact info listed below.
Richard Regalado
626-893-8487
regalplan@yahoo.com