Crime & Safety in Beacon>Question Details

Sven Hedges, Home Buyer in Chapel Hill, NC

Looking at the crime map, Beacon appears much worse than any of the surrounding towns in the HV. If this accurate?

Asked by Sven Hedges, Chapel Hill, NC Fri Aug 10, 2012

Newburgh, for example, has a notorious crime problem but appears to be fine, while Beacon looks crime ridden. Is this a reflection of better crime reporting by Beacon, or has Beacon really developed a worse problem with crime?

Answers

12
Looking at the Police Blotter in the local paper, what you mostly see is stuff stolen from unlocked cars! I've been here for over four years and have never had a problem.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 31, 2013
Beacon is great.
Always reminded me of the Queens of my childhood.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
I've lived in Beacon for eight years now. When we first moved in I had the same concerns as it had a "reputation". I have never been happier with our decision! I have never had any negative issues, even late at night. There is one sort of ghetto looking corner where I go to get cheap gas... and even there, I've never had any issues. The whole area has become very chique and upscale; has been featured several times in the New York Times. AMAZING restaurants, lots of cute little mom and pop shops, our own handmade candle shop, art galleries, a hand-blown glass maker. We ended up having a baby and I could not be happier to have him growing up in such a diverse and stimulating neighborhood. He is exposed to everything from the Dia Museum to Thai/Mexican/Italian/Japanese food. We walk around after dinner and know all the owners in all the shops. Even though it's a "city"... I am originally from New York CITY :) and this is not a "city". It is the cutest, quaintest little town but with some of the city benefits (like a 24 hr Walmart minutes away in Fishkill). The nice thing is that we still go to NYC all the time... just over an hour by either driving or on the train. We also road trip a lot, under an hour from here to PA and CT. A few hours to Massachusetts or even Montreal, Canada! Such a great location! As the wife of a cop and friend of several Beacon cops I think they are diligent and perhaps are better at reporting criminal activity which would explain the higher crime rate. Newburgh is REALLY scary! I can't believe that you found it had a lower crime rate than Beacon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 6, 2012
I've lived in Beacon my whole life, other than walking home from the bar late I've never worried about my safety in town. I don't know what the data says but just take regular precautions when/if traveling alone at night and you won't have anything to worry about. Honestly I've heard much less about crime in the city as I did when I was younger it has defiantly gotten better since then.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 25, 2012
The crime reports on Trulia depend on the statistics provided by a given city. If you look at New York City, for example, you see entire sections of the city that appear as if no crime was committed, which, I can guarantee with 100% certainty, is not the case. Also, looking at the reported crimes in Beacon, it seems as though even the most trivial things are recorded (a fight, which could be as trivial as two people arguing) vs. other cities which only report major incidents.
The silly thing is, the type of "crime" Trulia has listed on Beacon streets are common reports made on the Police blotter that you would hear of in every town....but most town's are not showing the same report. It seems unrealistic, for these issues happen in every town! Beacon has so much to offer, I wouldn't take this to heart!
We purchased an investment property in April. We're very pleased with the area & the people we met so far. There are huge opportunities to purchase in Beacon. The city is being reborn. Main street is booming. We see a lot of young couples, baby strollers, walkers, joggers, etc. on main street.
Sven,
You can find out about pretty much everything in most towns/cities by logging onto the following webiste:
city data.com
and filling in the location you're looking for, eg. Beacon, NY, in the search area. I know Newburg, Poughkeepsie and Middletown have a very high crime rate. Am not sure about Beacon.
Check it out for yourself. It's very helpful and informative.
Patricia
Sven Keep in mind that Beacon is a city and the crime information will be different when comparing with a town or village due to the population. As said by fellow agents you can check with Beacon's Police Department.
Hi Sven,

It is hard to say without knowing what specific map you are looking at.
I am a real estate broker who lives and works in Beacon.
I have lived here for 8 years and have no complaints at all.
Of course, there is crime here just like everywhere else in the US.
I know it can be hard if you are relocating to a new area.
Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks and good luck with the move!

http://cityofbeacon.org/

Gregory Schreiber
Licensed Real Estate Broker
845-440-6255
greg@gregschreiber.com
Sven,
Anna has it correct, you should contact the local police departments to determine if Beacon is an area you may or may not want to live. Here are some phone numbers:

City of Beacon Police Department (845) 831-4111
Dutchess County Sherrifs Department (845) 486-3800

Hope that helps!
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/