Crime & Safety in 60637>Question Details

karlaw848, Renter in Chicago, IL

Looking at a place on south Everett and 57th. What is you opinion of this area in terms of living there?

Asked by karlaw848, Chicago, IL Tue Jan 1, 2013

Answers

7
The area falls into the East Hyde Park area, and benefits from the proximity of the lake, transportation to downtown, and the presence of the University of Chicago. I recommend that you visit, you will see that it is a great area and neighborhood.
Since everyone assumed that you were referring to crime, I'm going to do what I do best and offer several details about the characteristics of the area that will allow you to make your own decision; I believe, shedding light on what you may be looking for.

I've been in Chicago almost my entire life and I know the south side like the back of my hand. 57th and Everett is Hyde Park, and in my opinion one of the more likeable areas of the city for several reasons . . . when people ask me questions about neighborhood, I first take my 'professional' cap off and offer people my honest opinion, because I also live here. The trouble in offering details is usually centered around making direct comments. Telling the truth about events has never been illegal.

This is a very densely populated area, complete with mostly multi unit apartment buildings and high rises. It's close to the Lake and Lake Shore Drive, which is a quick ride to several expressways, including I-55, I-290 and I-94, so for the sake of transportation, it's awesome.

53rd and 55th streets are bubbling with all SORTS of restaurants, boutiques, shops, retail outlets, you name it. Just about every name brand bank is located on one of these strips, your favorite restaurants, health food stores, consignment shops, cafes, smoke shops, coffee shops, dentists, liquor stores/specialty wine shops, laundromats . . . the list goes on. This shopping district caters to the neighborhood that is surrounded by a plethora of buildings from the University of Chicago U of C Hospital, which in-turn feeds the population of the neighborhood . . . teachers, students, doctors and employees of these institutions.

Some of your assessments in the buildings surrounding this area are typically $200 - $300 + , which from a common sense point, tells me that the residents of this area can afford their assessments, in addition to their monthly mortgages and other housing expenses. At any given time, you will see people walking their dogs or jogging.

Hope this helps Karla, good luck with your search and settle.
Thank you.
Flag Sat Jan 5, 2013
Drive by at different times of the day to see if the area has what you are looking for in terms of shopping, transportation, affordability, schools, etc.
Hi Karla,

Can't comment about crime and safety. However, there is a lot going on in this neighborhood. I can tell you it's in Hyde Park and near University of Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry and the beaches and lakefront. 57th Street Metra is about four blocks away. 57th Street Art Fair is June 5th through 6th.

Drive around weekdays, weekends and evenings to check it out.

We can't comedy on what an area is like but there is plenty of websites out there for things like this. You can also always go there and visit. I suggest go there at all different times of the day and on weekends.
It's Against the Law to Violate the Fair Housing Act.
Hello Karla,

You can search this website for crime reports in the area. http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/

Jorge Vega
Newman Realty Group
http://www.newmanknowschicago.com