CodyS, Renter in University Village /...

Looking at a apt. on 1541 W Hastings St. (near Ashland) How safe Is that area?

Asked by CodyS, University Village / Little Italy, Chicago, IL Tue Jul 17, 2012

I'm a student at Columbia looking at finding an apartment, pretty knowledgeable of Pilsen area, but I'm not particularly familiar with this area in between Pilsen & University Village.

Answers

6
ChicagoStarGirl’s answer
Here is a quick tip for everyone;

If you are interested in the crime rate of your "search", go to the city's website, click on the Chicago Police Department section, then, after clicking on the proper sections, (if you have half a brain, you won't have a problem figuring it out, just read the options) then you can enter the address you are interested in, and view all the crime history on the location. I believe it goes as far as 1year, but don't quote me.
Now, as a citizen of this fine windy place, I can also tell you that, if you are sincerely interested in a certain location, but are hesitant due to crime/people/traffic/what-not, I would suggest to go and visit it at different times of the day & night. Concentrating on weekends as well as during the week. 1am-5am would benefit you the most, which is really the prime crime time in most areas. Although, be careful (ha-ha!)
Another suggestion, you can go to the listed area, find out when the local Postal Carrier is delivering, and go there at that time, and-VOILA!.....greet, introduce, state your interest, then kindly ask for their time & opinion. They know very well, considering they walk the block/area on a daily basis.
Your welcome :)
Furthermore, to answer your question, I, myself, as a lifelong resident of Pilsen, I would definitely not recommend that specific/particular area. Personally, I am looking to move OUT.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 3, 2012
Hi Cody-

Take a look at Trulia's Crime Maps: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Chicago-Illinois/crime/

This should give you a better sense of what types of crimes are happening where, be safe!

Trulia Team
Due some due diligence and visit the area at different times of the day in order to get a feel for the area. Is it convenient for you as far as area amenities and transportation?
that area is considered safe by some people and considered not safe by others it sort of depends on your tolerance .. I suggest you go look at the area and walk around
R E agents cannot commont on that and everyone has a different opinion of 'safe'. Check with crime statistics, ask other students.friends/family/coworkers etc.
We cant comment on things of this nature. Only you will know whats best for you. Go to the place at all different times of day and night. Check it out yourself. Go there on the weekends. Go during traffic. You can also check out crimesbyblock.com.

Best of luck.