Crime & Safety in New York>Question Details

John, Home Buyer in 84088

Is washington heights, ny a safe area.?

Asked by John, 84088 Mon Mar 9, 2009

Answers

4
Nobody said Washington Heights is suburbs. It's northern Manhattan and it runs from West 157th Street to W 194th St. Hudson Heights is the elevated area between W 181 to W 194th or Fort Tryon Park and between Fort Washington Ave and Cabrini Ave. I'm walking in that area neaery every evening in summer time and never heard car blasting and/or loud music from homes. I have not seen drugs being sold in the street and as a real estate agent I cannot be as blunt as Chess, but I totally disagree with him. maybe some 10 years ago, the neighborhood wasn't as nice as it is now, in certain area's. I think the best thing to do, is indeed walk around, during the day, and evening and see that Chess's information is not acurate.
I'm living here over 5 years and if I walk in the street people make little small talk, I made aquainances and friends, something that did not happen in the 12 years I lived in Brooklyn. That does not say one over the other is better, this is my experience, living in this neighborhood. Chess, has not lived here, he has an opinion.
I agree with Alan, we are not allowed to answer these questions because of fair housing. Washington Heights is the area I live and love, if you have other questions, please ask, I know the area as my inside pocket.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
John,

The best resource for this information is the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the most current and accurate information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

Hi John,

The best way to answer that question is for you to go to an NYPD website and find out crime stats for that area, it will give you a good idea to how a specific area is.

We are brokers can't answer these type of questions or anything about schools in a specific neighborhood.

Crime stats is your way to go.

~Alen