zezemaui, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

Is this area going to be a good neighborhood for me and my daughter, age 8 to grow up in?...being a single parent, I have checked the crime activity .

Asked by zezemaui, Minneapolis, MN Wed Dec 18, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3140634605-3159-15th-Ave-S-Mi…

Answers

8
The question is subjective, therefore why entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you; therefore visit the neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging, possibly chat with locals/neighbors then decide if your comfort level can be reached. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 19, 2013
Questions like these are ones only you can answer. Legally Real Estate Agents can't steer you, and more importantly it's very personal and subjective. I would recommend driving and walking around the area, the parks, the business to get a sense.

I'm glad you're looking at crime data, please also look at the Powderhorn Park neighborhood - http://ppna.org - as they have lots of events and meetings to get involved with.

There's many trails, parks, restaurants, and other things to do in that neighborhood and it is quite convenient to transportation. But "good?" Only you can decide.

If there's more you liked to know or to see the house - let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 18, 2013
Hi! Just as Benjamin pointed out, it isn't for us to decide. It sounds like you are being diligent in your efforts to conduct research on the area- an as parents, that's our job. Should you decide you would like to start seeing some properties and would like to work with someone local, I would happy to work with you!
Flag Thu Dec 19, 2013
This is the Powderhorn park neighborhood in Minneapolis. There's a large park, powderhorn park including powderhorn lake, located a block west of this home address. Along with the crime report, I strongly suggest you drive through the neighborhood and speak with some of the residents.
I was born and raised in Minneapolis and I have owned property and lived in many of the different neighborhoods in Minneapolis. I have to say I am partial to the area you are referring to. Powderhorn Park is an incredible area with tons of amenities and a community that is very involved, engaged and also diverse, artistic and creative. I have sold houses on the block you mention and I can say that you have some very good neighbors. Your question is "is this a good neighborhood?" If you are asking if you have good neighbors and a good, strong community, then Yes! Good luck to you!
As a non-agent, just a person who grew up in the Twin Cities..I'd vote no. There ARE many areas very close to there that are safer to look into. I grew up in a middle class suburb and loved it, I moved to Uptown on the corner of Hennepin and W. Franklin and loved it just as much. Walking my dog at night though, when you live in the city, it can be a block by block change that's like night and day. So, your street may be safe in that specific area, but odds are that one of your daughters new friends may live on a block you'd never want her on. Just being honest...and of course it's an opinion, but a fairly streetwise one!!
Depending on your timeline to purchase I recommend that you attend one of hte neighborhood association meetings as well. You will be able to meet some active community memebers that can give you thier prospective on what is going on in the areas you are considering.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
They are all correct we cannot steer you away from neighborhoods, and "good" is always subjective. It sounds like you already visited the MPL website for shots fired, and that is a page I visit often. I think a good idea from there is to drive the neighborhood and hang out for an afternoon with your daughter. If you feel safe then go for it! Visit the police station and school if you would like as well.

Hope that helps!

~Christopher Block
651-307-7663
chris.block@imetroproperty.com