Crime & Safety in West End>Question Details

Big Tone, Home Buyer in West End, Atlanta, GA

Is there a lot of break ins or burglaries on the west end?

Asked by Big Tone, West End, Atlanta, GA Wed Mar 10, 2010

Answers

9
Jerry - no reason to shudder. This is about Atlanta neighborhoods, man.

I answered that question as a knowledgeable neighbor - I'm not quoting empirical data, Big Tone isn't holding me to a specific metric, and Mee Mee shares the same ethic.

Just spreading knowledge.

I try to get everybody I know on the spotcrime.com tip - whenever a crime Q&A starts on Trulia, I find that spotcrime.com is a terrific resource...

Big Tone - Zone 4 HQ is on Cascade and MAJ Yabuku would welcome a visit if you want to see a specific beat book.
Kplanovsky you are soo right it's a hidden gem, so is alot of other places for example Vine City, Metropolitan and the list goes on these are the areas where people used to run from but you have to realize they have torn down all the affordable housing apartments and building high rise condos, or just houses or condos, I tell you this look at how they are rehabbing the homes in the West End Area and that will tell you what about to happen if you sleep on it you will loose a deal. I told people to buy in these areas long time about an my parents did they have gotton offers on there property and they won't sell it there home is located off of Cleveland Ave walking distance to the golf course, I grew up in this area I remember when it was apartments or some people call them projects now they are no more they have built new homes, townhomes, new apartments. We were blessed to not have to experience the crime.
We moved from Buckhead to West End back in July 2008 and couldn't be happier. As Mee Mee said, crime is everywhere in Atlanta - truth is, crime follows the opportunity. The West End Neighborhood Development (W.E.N.D.) meeting last week (every first Tuesday at the Peeples Street library) reported that crime in West End is down 60% over the last two years. The VAST majority of crimes here are teenagers breaking in to a car, stealing stuff from stores, or petty quick little smash and grabs.

Honestly, this is Atlanta's hidden gem and in only a few years it is going to rival East Atlanta and Inman Park - and for the GREAT home deals it is hard to pass up. Perfect location, great neighbors, active association, and lots of potential. Plus some of the most amazing historic homes you have ever seen. Feel free to checkout my website at http://www.beecherbungalow.com or email me at kplanovsky@gmail.com.

Thanks!
-Kevin

p.s. We are having a Spring Festival in West End this year, check out http://www.atlantawestfest.com
Your best source of information is the local police police department, why not call/visit and ask all your questions. If you are not familiar with the area consider driving through more than once and at different times of day, chat with the locals if the opportunity arises. Keep in mind opinions are subjective, and what's good for one is not necessarily the case for another.
I have several rentals in or near that area. Lee's right. What's a lot? They hit empty homes more than occupied homes, but an alarm system is a must have.
I shudder at the thought of answering this question as a Real Estate professional. We are prohibited from doing so. Call the cops! They will have the best information.
To answer your question crime is everywhere, West End is not high crime but there have been break ins in the area. West End has changed a lot from what it used to be. I'm originally from Atlanta so it has gotton better. I have a friend that lives over there and his home has been broken into several times but he is very flashy so that could be part of it. He now has an alarm system and since he has installed it he has not had any break-ins. Again crime is all over Atlanta, I would recommend where ever you move have an alarm installed, burgulars tend to skip over those homes.
Big Tone,

Check the web reference - the last 2 months worth of crime in the West End tracked at Spotcrime.com.

Steady break ins and burglaries.

A lot? That's relative.

What's a lot, to you?

Hey yo - Jerry Sanders - what's up with your answer? Regardless, I will check out your nifty site....
Big,

I am putting a blog together on selling and buying a new home. You can find it at http://nomoneydownzerodownmortgageloan.blogspot.com/2009/08/…
Check the info in # 6

Understand this is an ongoing project and not complete, but some links there will be helpful. Too much on my plate to finish at this time.

Hope it helps