Crime & Safety in Mar Vista>Question Details

Richard A, Other/Just Looking in Mar Vista, Los Angeles...

Is the neighborhood safe and walk able? Any gang activity?

Asked by Richard A, Mar Vista, Los Angeles, CA Fri Jun 22, 2012

Answers

12
It's always good to go spend time during the day and at night to get the "feel" of the neighborhood..
Before we moved into my area in Silver Lake over 12 years ago, our street seemed a bit dodgy.
We spent time walking around day and night and meeting neighbors and decided to move here.
No regrets! I don't live in Mar Vista but always enjoyed helping clients look for homes in that neighborhood.
.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 25, 2012
Chiming in from the Great Pacific NW . . . and I have to say, Madelaine is a woman after my own heart! I grew up in Los Angeles and never heard of Mar Vista being a gang hub. To the contrary, it was always a lovely area in a great location. I'm sure it hasn't changed much since I relocated.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 24, 2012
Thank you, Carla.
Flag Thu Jun 28, 2012
Aaroon , I have never heard of you, I have been selling Real Estate in Mar Vista for 10 years, and lived in Mar Vista for over 20. I have raised my 3 kids here and I am so glad I bought a house in Mar Vista because it is one of the only areas that the Real Estate has kept it's value. The pockets such as Westdale Trousdale, the view streets and the flats are nice... But gangs??? Really?? You are nuts
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 24, 2012
The question was GANG activity. Graffiti?? Car Break ins???
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013
Madelaine is right on!
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013
Madeleine, with all due respect. Walk around. Gang sign/graffiti everywhere, including the mailbox. Car break-ins abound. We're not immune, no matter what you think. And, I'm on the hill.
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Richard,

I owned a home in Mar Vista for 8 years. Mar Vista covers a very large area and some neighborhoods are safer than others. Mar Vista Hill, Mar Vista Knoll and Westdale Trousdale have expensive homes and are generally perceived as safer. The blocks adjacent to Venice Blvd. and south are a little are closer to traffic and commercial areas and tend to have more graffiti, etc. I believe every neighborhood in Mar Vista has improved but there are still small pockets with gang activity. There are two long standing rival gangs, the V13 and Culver City Boyz but I couldn't tell you what they are up to these days. You might contact the Pacific division of the LAPD to get crime statistics.

Check out the Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Vista,_Los_Angeles

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Aaron

Aaron Mirsky, Coldwell Banker
310.270.7548
aaron.mirsky@coldwellbanker.com
I'm 35 year resident of Santa Monica and Mar Vista
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Mar Vista is wonderful and the 5th hottest zip code in Los Angeles! I have lived in Mar Vista for over 20 years, I can ride my bike to the beach walk to the Farmers Market on Grand View and Venice Blvd.

Mar Vista has one of the most active community councils in Los Angeles, and many changes are happening everyday... The park has been all redone, our city councilmen lives on my block!!!!

If you are wondering about a specific address you can go the http://www.lacity.org and put it in the crime report section.. and don't forget to check your current address!!!

Madelaine Kolisnyk, Realtor
Madelaine K Properties
310.869.1712
http://www.MadelaineK.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
I live here and I love it!

In any large city there is some crime and all kinds of people doing less than admirable things... Even in the $8million Malibu homes...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
That's a question you might want to ask a resident or police officer of Mar Vista.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
So, what exactly is Mar Vista Knolls? Mar Vista hill? Where do the flatlands officially begin? Just curious.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Safe and walkable. Lots of people out walking at all times of the day. Lots of dogs and children. Gang activity is everywhere though. No community is immune. We all watch out for each other!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
I love Mar Vista too, I grew up there and I went to Mar Vista Elementary. Safety cannot be guaranteed anywhere, but I certainly felt safe. I walked to school, I played in the park, and I rode my bike around the neighborhood. I wasn't aware of any gang activity where I lived which was near Mar Vista Park, but things may have changed since.

Take a look at https://www.crimereports.com/ and punch in the full address. Just click on the icons and they will tell you about sex offenders and give you a crime report on the map. The information is very specific and detailed.

Jessica Acker
Wellman Realty Company
310-828-3132
Dear Richard,
Mar Vista/ Palms is a lovely neighboorhood with mature trees and well cared for homes. It's also pricy with homes on the hill areas that have ocean views, commanding prices in the millions.
The area is vibrant and active with many parks and families are always out and about, enjoying the area. The parks in the area are very popular and have many communitiy activities.

As Realtors we are limited to advice that is within the scope of our expertise. For Crime statistics visit http://,www.lapdonline.org/crime.
Check the crime report through the LA county sherriffs department.
Crime can happen anywhere.
I have friends that live in Mar Vista, one is a doctor in BH and he loves it there.