Crime & Safety in Edgewood>Question Details

Deborah, Other/Just Looking in New Jersey

Is the edgewood area a safe area? are their young professionals living here?

Asked by Deborah, New Jersey Sun Aug 3, 2008

Answers

7
I'm 34, renovation loan officer for Wells Fargo and would probably fall into the classification of a young professional. I have lived in Edgewood for 3.5 years and love it over here. I have done loans for quite a few young professionals moving into the neighborhood as well. Edgewood is a great value and is in a prime location to L5P, Carroll St, East Atlanta Village and Virginia Highlands. Lots to do.
Web Reference: http://www.203KLoan.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 27, 2010
No. We don't like yuppies around here and nobody will cry for you when you get mugged or your house robbed. Rich snobs: keep out of our hood!

Sorry if this seems disrespectful, but you wanted too know what people here are like, so here's your answer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 12, 2009
Deborah,

You got some great answers from the locals and I'll echo Sean and add that ever since the Edgewood Retail District opened, the crime stats in APD Zone 6 rose. Even so, it is a welcome and overall, very secure improvement in our community, making Edgewood even better than before.

I first saw Edgewood in 1988, when the defunct Colonial Bakery sat next to Atlanta Gas Light's property and the Edward's Bakery filled the whole neighborhood with the smell of apple pie - the adjacent neighborhood was just starting to see signs of renovated residential and multi-family redevelopment. However, some of the streets were pretty scary!

I just took some photos yesterday of the Mayson and Hardee street demolitions that Sean talked about - Mayson was rough, rough, rough and when I turned a corner nearby just yesterday, I ran into some less than welcoming neighbors - that being said, they are fewer and farther between nowadays

That being said, we got plenty of YUPPIES (like Sean Casey, and Lee Taylor) in the Eastside neighborhoods, and lots of affordable real estate on some terrific, neighborly streets.

If you are "just looking," then come on down here with your New Jersey money and get your real estate on.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 6, 2008
Edge wood is a great place to live.I have been living here for 5 years now and its improved a lot. It is a better neighborhood to live in ,family welcoming ,and friendly.Those bad apartments that used to be here?GONE.You will see people riding bikes,walking,and jogging now.There are better house more family people and I am proud to be living here.When people say "You live in Edge wood!?!" I sa i surely do.
Yes, there are many young professionals in the Edgewood area. Every time I turn around I see someone riding a bike down the street or pushing their kid in a stroller over to a nearby park...I would ignore most of the other posts that say otherwise. They have no idea what they're talking about. There's a coffeehouse within 3 blocks of any corner.
I have lived in Edgewood for the past two years and can tell you that it has changed DRAMATICALLY since the outdated apartments which were located in the area blocked by La France, Hosea Blvd, Huctchinson, and Mayson were torn down. Before this demolition, I would watch drug deals happen all Saturday and Sunday. Now, most of the people are only running and walking there dogs around the Edgewood Neighborhood. The area where they tore down the apartments can still get hairy at times but I would say this is due to some apartments still nestled back off of Hardee Circle. The area around the Edgwood Retail district and Candler Park are a little more walkable at the moment than the southern portion, but if you want to live in Atlanta there really isn't a better place. Just look at the price. The reason it is still affordable is that most people don't know about the demolition. But look in the AJC and you'll see that 30317 had the highest increase in value in Atlanta. Most people move intown to escape the absolutly horrific traffic that pervades metro Atlanta and what better place to move that next to a Marta station, access to I-20, Freedom Prkwy.
Deborah - this question seems to have been asked several times over the past few weeks. I sold a new home to a young couple 2 yrs ago in the Edgewood area. She works for the GA State Attorney General's office and he sells Landrovers. They have a 2yr old now too. They have been enjoying the area. There is also a wonderful coffee shop/dog park in Edgewood that is a popular spot for non 9-5 professionals during the week and 9-5ers on weekends. Lastly, there are quite a few modern homes being built in the area, which appeals to the younger buyer. Definitely an area hot on the rise.

If you know someone moving to Atlanta - I definitely know the intown markets. Please give them my info. You can also contact me directly if you would like more info.
Web Reference: http://intownfocus.com