Jerry, Other/Just Looking in Morningside Heights,...

Is the Morningside hights area safe?

Asked by Jerry, Morningside Heights, New York, NY Sun May 24, 2009

I am thinking of staying in the Morningside Inn Hotel (235 West 107 Street, New York, NY 10025). Only looking for a bed for the night as planning on being out and about all day to do some sight seeing. Is it safe?
How much would a taxi cost from times square?

Answers

7
Morningside Heights is exceptionally safe.

There is a lot of misinformation in this forum and I would like to provide several points of clarification:

The Morningside Heights district starts on 110th street and extends only as far as the northeast corner of Morningside Drive and 125th street. One answer in this forum erroneously posted a link to the crime statistics for the 24th precinct. This is irrelevant information because the 24th precinct does not include the Morningside Heights neighborhood (the precinct's zone ends at 110th street).

Please note that it would also not be informative to look at the crime statistics for the 26th precinct which include the Morningside Heights area because it also includes a large tract of land outside the boundaries of the neighborhood where crime is (likely to be) far more prevalent. There is a significant drop in median household income above 125th street (refer to census data, e.g., http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/dec/08/census-…). Empirical evidence suggests a close relationship between income and crime, and therefore anecdotal evidence of more crime above 125th street is probably credible. Since the neighborhood terminates at 125th street, crime above 125th street should be excluded from the 26th precinct's data if the objective is to characterize the Morningside Heights neighborhood.

Columbia university has their own security force which patrols the neighborhood. Under cover detectives and unmarked police cars are constantly patrolling the area.

Please refer to this crime map of NYC which indicates that Morningside Heights as the 2nd lowest crime rate in all of manhattan. http://www.morningside-heights.net/crime.htm

Thank you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
DNAinfo.com is reporting; Tenant of Columbia-Owned Apartment Attacked in Push-in Robbery inside 535 West 111th St., near Broadway
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131029/morningside-heights…
I know this is a long time after your post. However, my friend got murdered there and it is a horrifying place. Real estate is not a good source to solely base your decision on...
I am so sorry to hear that Fran!
Flag Thu Nov 8, 2012
By law real estate agents can't answer such questions, and are supposed to tell you to check with the precinct, but I can tell you I love the area. I sold an apt. on 109th St. and the buyers are very happy there. My masters degree is from Columbia and I am very fond of the area. Check out Cathedral of St. John the Divine on 110th St - it's an amazing architectural gem. And the Hungarian Pastry shop is an absolute MUST - it's on Amsterdam Ave. between 110th and 11th St. There are subways to Times Square, so you don't have to pay cab fare if you don't want to.
For an accurate answer why not direct your question to the local police department, they will be more than happy to assist you.

Anna
That area is plenty safe, most would still consider that proper upper west side. Its between broadway and amsterdam, you have Columbia University going all the way into the 120's/130's (harlem area). I would only be weary if you were staying above 125th st. and/or east of Adam Clayton Powell (7th ave), even then its still safe, just need to be more alert of your surroundings. I live on 112th and 8th ave and have never felt uncomfortable. From times square, taxi would probably be around 10 dollars, no more than 15.
You would only be weary above 125th and/or east of Adam Clayton Powell (7th Ave) Really, How about the bad housing projects right across Broadway? Also a cab from times sq will cost more than 10 or 15 dollars, it's $3.00 once you get in, it will definitely cost more than $7 or $12 more to go over 3 miles, If you don"t know what you're talking about don't post.
Flag Sat Mar 9, 2013
Jerry,

The best resource for this information is the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the mose accurate and up to date information and are generally very willing to be helpful.