Crime & Safety in Stockton>Question Details

The_choosen5, Home Buyer in Stockton, CA

Is stockton,CA University of Pacific good? and can i get part time jobs to earn..? please tell me about the crime...im a student from india.

Asked by The_choosen5, Stockton, CA Sun Sep 30, 2012

Answers

3
UoP is rumored to be a good school but I don't have any firsthand experience with it myself. I can tell you for certain there are NO jobs around here ... NONE. Not full time, not part time, not anything, unless you've lived here for 25+ years, know all the right people, and want to jump through 85 million hoops to try to get a government job with the city. Or unless you like waiting tables for the rest of your life. That's about all that's here in Stockton: the poverty-stricken who don't work, the phony upper-crust who don't need to work (as long as they live here; they'd never survive San Francisco because they aren't THAT rich), and the grunts that do everything to wait on the phony upper-crust: cut their lawns, babysit their spoiled brats, sell them shoes at the mall, or serve them food when they feel like dining out. There are no REAL jobs, so if you're thinking you'll go to school and do some nice little internship locally with anything involving media or tech, go somewhere else. Berkeley, Walnut Creek, Oakland, San Jose, wherever. Stockton simply doesn't have it.

What Stockton does have is a crime problem, and a serious one at that. Depending on where you live it may or may not impact you personally, or may only do so at the car break-in level rather than the drive-by shooting level, but it is out there. Sorry, I'm just being honest. There's also a very strong positive community element here of people who are sick of things the way they are and doing our best to make changes and improvements to our city. And there's a delightful "small town" vibe here in the nicer areas -- a lot of Stocktonians are friendly, down-to-earth, the kind of people who will just say hello to anyone and strike up a conversation on the fly if you're out and about. Stockton pretty much has the best and the worst of "small town" vibe even though it's a fairly sizeable city. UoP is kind of isolated and insulated, it forms its own internal community, so maybe none of this will matter to you. I've been in Stockton 2 and a half years, though, and I'm just trying to be honest. A lot of people will either gloss over the bad parts or just diss on Stockton; I'm trying to give you a true and realistic picture here.
Thank you so much friend..it was a good information... :-)
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013
Thank you so much friend...it was a good information.... :-)
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013
UOP is a great school and an asset to the City of Stockton. Crime here is not worse than anywhere else. You can find many good areas to live in, and best of all they are affordable. Welcome to Stockton, I love it here.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
University of Pacific is an excellent school, and it is a pretty campus. It is small enough to get individual attention. Stockton has been dealing with an increase in crime for the last two years, however, there are many safe areas of town. UOP would help you learn more about where to live and spend your time, and also they would help you learn about part-time jobs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Thank you..:-)
and please tell me about the cost of living there...
Flag Mon Oct 15, 2012