Crime & Safety in Harlem>Question Details

Nyny, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn Heights, Br...

Is it safe to walk down Bradhurst off 145th after dark ( woman alone)? Not much activity there it seems and surrounded by projects in close

Asked by Nyny, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn, NY Thu Dec 31, 2009

proximity.

Answers

5
As Real Estate professionals since we're unable to give our customers advice about the safety of a particular neighborhood, I always suggest to my clients that they should visit areas they're interested in during the times of day/night that they would normally be travelling to/from home if they actually lived there. Male or Female, you should always be alert & use precaution no matter where you are in the city. Here are some crime prevention tips that may be helpful for you: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/crime_prevention/crime_pre…

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
I live right on the corner of 145th and Bradhurst. I think you just need to use common sense and stay aware when walking down Bradhurst, or any street at night. No ipods or cellphones, just stay alert to what's going on around you.

There are several police precients in the area, the metro station has a police station on site and there's a station on Frederick Douglas at 147th.

If you're concerned, I might walk down to that street and then take a cross street to Bradhurst, but overall, I've felt safe and secure in this neighborhood.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 2, 2010
I live and work about 1 1/2 hours north of NYC . I hate to tell you that bad things happen everywhere. If you don't believe me, read a newspaper.

While I understand that everyone wants to feel safe, it's really not a correct statement for anyone to say an area is safe or not safe. We've all heard of terrible things happening in what were perceived to be "safe" areas.

Let common sense prevail wherever you choose to live or travel. If alone , walk in public areas while talking (or pretending to talk) with someone. Try to stay in well-lit public places. Talk to your local police for better tips.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year!
For an accurate answer, visit the local police department, they'll glady answer your questions and you'll be happy to have heard all firsthand. Real estate professionals are prohibited by Fair Housing Laws to discuss crime/safety issues in any neighborhood, etc.

Anna
Nyny,
Valid question. The best answer I can give you, and the legal one I am obliged to give you, is check with the local precinct on crime statistics. They have that information. See how it compares to other neighborhoods you may be considering.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, c
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268