Crime & Safety in New York>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Is it safe to drop off children at the Public Library to have them do HW?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

How much security is there? Is this a smart option for a working mother who needs an after school option? http://www.nypl.org/

Answers

3
As a single mother I can relate to your dilemma. I honestly would not feel comfortable doing this at all. I would advise you to seek out after school programs either at your child's school or close by. Google after school programs for your area or speak to someone at your child's school. They usually have a wealth of information on the programs. Some programs you may have to pay and some you don't. I have found that many programs are willing to work with you according to your income. You may also think of having a trusted neighbor or parent of a friend of your child's that goes to the same school pick up your child. Both of my children attend after school programs. My youngest child goes to an after school program within her school that costs me about $65.00 per month. My oldest child goes to a free after school program two blocks away from her school. The after school program sends someone to pick her and the other children that attend the program upon a parents request. We live in dangerous times and despite how mature we may think our children are, there are so many people out there who have mastered the art of preying on our children.

Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
It is your choice as the parent. It would depend on the age, I guess. I just have a concern with all the stories we hear about, even with older children. I know it probably seems like a convenient solution but I think all other options should be considered first - are there after school options at their school, at a local Boys & Girls Club, at your Church or YMCA. Check with local social services. Be careful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
This is a very interesting question, but one, I believe, that belongs on a parenting website and forum rather than a real estate website. Whether a parent is comfortable dropping a child off at a public library as their after-school child care option is a very individual choice. It would depend upon the age and maturity level of the child, the amount of supervision provided at the library, and the child's comfort level with such an option. Again, I would suggest you seek out the advice of child care experts rather than real estate experts.