Liz, Renter in Old Louisville, Loui...

Is it really unsafe to live here?

Asked by Liz, Old Louisville, Louisville, KY Sun Jun 24, 2012

Answers

6
Lex’s answer
Hey Liz,
I'm neither a Realtor nor a landlord. So let me level with you. Some parts of Old Louisville are fine to live in. Do you ever want to go for a stroll alone at night anywhere in the neighborhood? No, of course not. But for the most part the types of things you'll encounter will include: constant harassment from homeless people for change and cigarettes, you'll probably get your car broken into, and it's possible your apartment will get burgled.

I lived in Old Louisville for 5 Years between 2003 and 2008 at the following places: 4th & Bloom, 4th & Oak (I seriously advise against living anywhere near here), and 2nd & Burnett. If you're careful the damage will be minimal and the housing is charming and affordable.
Liz, my office is on 4th and Hill St. I've been in Old Louisville since 2004. Within the limits of Old Louisville, I've only witnessed petty crime- car window breaks and graffiti. Just as the others have said, I feel very safe here. The 4th Division of Louisville Metro Police is a block away and over two dozen of the officers are my personal friends. I've ridden with them throughout the years and witnessed the higher degree crimes outside of Old Louisville. As a rule of thumb, the closer you are to UofL, the higher the concentration of students and higher priced rentals. This is typical of universities across the country. The private market rents will keep just below the pace/ cost of the housing on campus. You can google crime reports from the Louisville Metro government which will show a map and type of crime report taken.
Having lived in Old Louisville 30+ years and one if it's most trusted Realtors, the answer : Old Louisville is SAFE. Not only a resident, but have served on the Louisville Metro Police Board for several years, Not just a Realtor, but can speak from real numbers!

My personal wesite for your needs is :
http://www.rededgelive.com/red-edge-realty-agents/don-driskell/

Speak with a Realtor that is 'hands on' connected and involved with a community !

-don driskell
Red Edge Realty
502-727-0280
What amount or type of crime would be acceptable or unacceptable to someone is impossible to determine by another individual. We all have different tolerances. I feel that prospective buyers should drive by a property that they are interested several times, at different times of day.

Believe it or not, the best person or agency to talk to about crime statistics in Louisville, is the Louisville Metro Police Department (502) 574-7111 or (502) 574-2111. Just contact them and give them the property address you are interested in.
Hi Liz,

Being a full time resident Realtor of Old Louisville for over 20 years, I would love the opportunity to sit down with you and inform and educate youon the over all diversity of the neighborhood. I have renovated 3 Old Lousiville properties personally and my partner and I both have home in the neighborhood in different locations. I relocated her from California in 1990 and immediately moved into the neighborhood. I wanted to live somewhere that I could get to know and make friends with my neighbors, which is exactly what happened in the neighborhood.

I employ a full time licensed assistant to insure that I am able to provide the best possible personalized service available in Louisville's Market. I have a list of "Raving Fans" that you can personally contact for references regarding my services. I would be delighted to share my market expertice in the area with you to help you make an informed and sound purchase.

Hope you had a great weekend and I look forward to hearing from you.

Michael Mawood, Old Lousiville's 20 Year Resident Realtor
KyHouseGuy@aol.com
http://www.michaelmawood.com - my personal website
502-445-6914 Call or text

Nancy Elder, Mr. Mawood's Personal Licensed Assistant
NancyElder@RE/MAX .net
502-777-4023 Call or text
Liz...I have lived in Old Louisville for 20 years on South Floyd Street and have NEVER had any type of issue. I own apartments in the Old Louisville area and have had very few incidents (a couple of car break-ins) that ever amounted to anything. You are living in a DOWNTOWN AREA...you have to pay attention and like anywhere in a large city you have to lock your doors and make sure that your valuables are not left in your car. As a single woman, I can tell you that I have never felt unsafe in this area...it is a thriving wonderful neighborhood environment. However, it is what you make it. I would suggest that you contact the Police that are located in Central Park and get the crime/safety statistics from them. Does whoever told you that it is unsafe to live here actually LIVE in Old Louisville or are they just ignorant to the real facts? Anywhere in a large city can be unsafe...anywhere in a large city has its share of crime...YOU have to decide for yourself the lifestyle that you want to lead and whether you are cut out for downtown city living. I am a full-time real estate agent and sell Old Louisville regularly.
Thanks for your input! I go to UofL and some of my friends and I are looking for an apartment right now. Safety is a big factor for my mom and I'm trying to find out the reality of how it is living down there and what the safest places to live close to campus are. Do you have any more advice?
Flag Sun Jun 24, 2012