Crime & Safety in Lynn>Question Details

Jennifer, Home Buyer in Saugus, MA

Is is safer to live in zip 01902 or 01904? I saw conflicting information about it.

Asked by Jennifer, Saugus, MA Mon Apr 27, 2009

Is is safer to live in zip 01902 or 01904? I saw conflicting information about it. Crime rates are higher in zip 01904, however, other said it is safer to live, say, in Ward 1 than the border of Western Ave and Eastern Ave. Please help as I am looking for a house in Lynn. Thank you.

Answers

2
Kevin Vitali’s answer
The best thing to do is call the police. An agent has to be very careful about making any statement that does not involve an actual fact about an area. Otherwise, they may be violating fair housing laws.
The only way to get a true answer to your question would be for you to call the police department and ask them. If you can give a competent Realtor a specific address, they should be able to give you an "off the record" read on that location.
01904 is traditionally the "best" part of town by many personal judgements. There are parts of 01902 that are also desireable to many such as the Diamond District. There are also parts of 01905 that are highly desireable and over time, much harder to buy a house in than either 01904 or 01902.
My personal definition of a "good" location is an area where everyone owns where they live. I believe that if you use that as a criteria, you'll get a reliable answer. 01904 is much more predominantly single family in nature than 01902 is. By definition you will find a much higher proportion of tenants in a multifamily area.
If you'd like to give me a specific location, I'd be glad to give you my impression.
good luck=-
Paul
Web Reference: http://www.lynnforsale.com