billy_aguayo, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

Is gang violence a major problem in Los Angeles?

Asked by billy_aguayo, Los Angeles, CA Sun Feb 10, 2013

Answers

10
Is it specifically "gang violence" that you're concerned about? Or just violent crimes in general? Here's a Google map that you might find interesting.
Dear Billy,
Los Angeles is a big city with different neighborhoods and beach cities. There are some areas with higher crime rates. Communities with higher density of crime violence. If you have a desired neighbohood drive area. Get a gut feeling about the area. Do you feel comfortable walking area, going to cafe shop in area or letting your kids walk to school? I like statistics and I have attached Neighborhood Scout has crime rate based on Los Angeles zip codes.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/los-angeles/crime/

Hope information helps in your home search.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
Dear Billy,
Los Angeles is a huge city with many different areas and neighborhoods. I have lived in Los Angeles for many years and never had an encounter with gangs or violence but it does exist, as with any major city.
For more information about the subject, I would recommend you take a look at http://www.lapdonline.org/crime and make your decisions based upon that.
City of Los Angeles is big and there are different areas/neighborhoods that have different level of crime and gang related activities. Check the map, check your surroundings , if you planning on moving into a new neighborhood - it is a good idea to drive through the area at a different times of the day/week; check the area at night, on the weekends, weekdays, mornings, nights, day time. This way you can see that kind of activities going on in the area. Of corse it is always a great idea to check with local police department and neighborhood profile as well as online research.

Hope this info will help you!
It depends on a lot of factors. The problem can be around you but not your problem, but you have to be aware of where you go, when you go, and what you wear.
Clearly from this Google map, most of the Los Angeles area gangs are concentrated South of the 10 Freeway, between the 405 Freeway to the West, the 710 Freeway to the East, and the 91 Freeway to the South. But gang and drug activity can also be found elsewhere.
As you drive through a neighborhood, do you see graffiti, bars on the windows and doors of properties, a lot of run-down and deferred maintenance, old beat-up cars, and other signs of poverty?
You can also search the websites on crime statistics in a given zip code for further information.
Billy: The first thought that came to my mind was - are you kidding? Thanks to Vincent Martinez you can see the situation for yourself on the Google link her posted. Generally, where you find
lots of drugs, money, and poverty, you'll also find lots of gang activity and lots of police.

I think the only people who are not shocked by those colored push pins are the gang members and the police who both make their livings inter acting daily.

What I like to call our general false sence of security is something like 1 part be careful where you
go, 1 part be careful when you go there, and 3 parts gardian angels looking after you (or if you prefer luck).

Tony
best to use the Sherriffs department website for crime reports. Los Angeles is a huge area so you'd need to be more specific. Where are you moving from and what do you need?

http://www.gallatingroup.net
Hello Billy,

Los Angeles has a large geographic area. Is there a specific area you're interested in?

I'd be happy to assist.

Please contact me directly. Susan@BeverlyHillsLuxuryFlats.com

Susan Bo'ur Realtor/Coldwell Banker
Hi Billy,

Each part of Los Angeles is very very different. If there is a specific area in Los Angeles you are referring to, I would suggest you contact the local police department and ask about that zip code or just do a google search about crime in that zip code.

Please let me know if you have any other real estate related needs or questions!

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: http://www.JamieTian.com