Crime & Safety in Boca Raton>Question Details

J.P., Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Is crime an issue in Boca Raton?

Asked by J.P., Tampa, FL Mon Apr 23, 2007

How safe is it or does it feel to walk around? And, is this the case across the city, or are there differences in different areas?

Answers

10
You can get information about the community via the county's website:

http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2007
Hi JP, you must check with the local police and sheriffs departments in Boca Raton for information on these matters.

A real estate agent can get into a legal trouble for "steering" by offering opinions.

Why were several virtually identical questions of this nature posted at the exact same time for this area by people with different names?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 16, 2010
J.P.
We recommend going directly to the experts. Contact the local police department of county sheriff's department. They are the best source of current and accurate information relative to community safety. They are also generally very willing to be helpful.

The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
Contrary to words from those who would love to SELL you a home and make a commission, Boca Raton certainly has its share of crime. Every place does. The city does have strict zoning but zoning does not eliminate crime. There ARE areas of Boca Raton that are impoverished - some just off Palmetto Park Road, some in the back roads of Spanish River, some near the downtown area - not far from the library. West Boca has its share of scary housing areas. They are far and few but they DO exist! Boca Town Center Mall has had a few women kidnapped and killed - look it up in google or the news. I agree - also check the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office website - they have a slew of unsolved homicides and unidentified victims. Not all of these crimes happened in Boca, but one should be cautious and aware at all times, whether it is a large city or a small suburb or town. Do your own research and do not rely on the words of others - as one person previously advised.
Having lived in the south-western area of Boca Raton for the last 15 years we have experienced changes like almost every community in the country. When I compare Boca to the areas of central New Jersey or eastern Massachusettes that I had lived in I would say that my wife and I feel relatively safe here. Even in "Mayberry USA" a citizen needs to be alert to their environment and take some preventative measures to ward off being a victim of crime. As AARP members my wife and I do feel safe in generally any area of Boca at any time of the day or the week.
Not al all. Boca Raton is quite safe and police are most efficient. We have no pockets of poverty and zoning itself is so strict we don't have pawn shops, top-less bars, adult shops, or even car dealerhips. Magnets for crime are elswhere. West Palm Beach, Riviera Beach and Pompano cannot say the same.
A very homogeneous city with magnificent infrastructure op services, Boca Raton is!
Web Reference: http://www.melmarino.com
My suggestion is that you check with the local police department. They can give you actual crime statistics that are much more reliable than another person's notion of safety.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2007
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Crime is not an issue in Boca Raton and it is very safe walking around particularly in open area shopping and dining areas like Mizner Park. Many local residents prefer to walk to dining and concerts as well as jogging and bike riding in their communities.
The last several years have brought newly designed, Mizner styled police and fire stations to Boca Raton which are a beacon of the safety that is provided to the residents
Unfortunately, we live in a world where no community is immune to crime. That said, gated communities and vigilant police and private security companies work very hard to keep petty crime to a minimum. I live in the Boca Del Mar area and join many residents who walk or jog early in the morning or in the evening, without incident. It is our own personal responsibility to be aware of our surroundings and not do things that invite crime.