jcorb5, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

Is 1600 block of West Susquehanna Ave Philadelphia a safe area ?

Asked by jcorb5, Philadelphia, PA Tue Jul 17, 2012

Answers

5
Larry Lichtman’s answer
As you see, Realtors cannot legally discuss crime/safety statistics. It can be construed as discriminating, steering and/or redlining.

There are many good resources mentioned in answers below. They will provide statistics you are looking for.

The best advice that I can give you is to drive by the potential block you are thinking about and park on it for a few minutes at various times of the day: Morning 7-9am, Evening 5-7pm and late night weeknights and weekends. This will give you a feel for the activity in the neighborhood and you will be able to decide if you would be comfortable living on the block or not.

You must ask yourself, "Would I be comfortable here?" or "Would I feel comfortable with my children living here?" There is no substitute for checking it out for yourself.

Good Luck with your move. If you'd like help finding a place near Temple U, please feel free to call me.

Larry Lichtman, CNE
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994

DJCRE, Inc.
Real Estate Sales, Management & Insurance
1611 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Office: (215) 271-7070
Hi Jcorb,

Your best bet is to contact the Nearest Police district office and ask for their most recent police blotter that shows the Behavior and reports of that particular neighborhood.

All the Best john + Sheri Curci RE/Max Properties 215-757-2889
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2012
It is generally known as a dangerous area (then again, so is anywhere else in North Philadelphia) but specifically the 1600 block is quite unsafe and it gets more seedy/dangerous as the numbers increase. I attend Temple University and live nearby so I can assure you that "chatting" or "getting to know" the neighbors probably isn't the safest thing to attempt. I regularly receive updates and alerts from Temple U. police instructing students to stay indoors because students & innocent locals are raped, robbed, stabbed, and sometimes shot etc. (and the perpetrators often evade local law enforcement) It also depends on who will be living in this neighborhood on that block because (unfortunately) younger women are often targets of crimes because most women have smaller physiques than men and thus, are perceived to be weaker to criminals. I have had male friends who lived on the 1800 block and have had zero issues but I know females who live in the 1700's and have gotten followed home, harassed etc.
Getting to know and befriending the neighbors is vital towards building trust and community, as well as keeping down crime rates. So, Kelsey, I can assure YOU that not only is it safe, but ignoring the "locals" while you enter their area is not only ignorant but also many times unwelcome.
Flag Thu Oct 11, 2012
compared to what, islamabad during a rocket attack, or walking through greenwich connecticut on a sunday afternoon?
David,
You are a funny guy =)
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/