Crime & Safety in Altadena>Question Details

M S D, Other/Just Looking in San Gabriel, CA

Is altadena a safe place to buy? East of Lincoln, West of Fair Oaks, North of Altadena

Asked by M S D, San Gabriel, CA Sat Mar 8, 2008

As Realtors we would direct you to talk with the local police or sheriff in the area to see what the crime statistics are. Good luck.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in ,
Bottom line, no it is not safe.

I certainly would not and do not drive through this area at night. However the further north you get from the freeway, the safer it seems to be. Sadly it has some pretty nice large older homes that I hope get restored some day. But that day is not likely to be soon.

-10 year resident of Old Pasadena.
This is still a transitional area of Pasadena/Altadena. Home prices are lower, but there are small poorly maintained rentals mixed in. We often hear helicopters and sirens. I would ask the sheriff's department for crime statistics. There is a sheriff's post at the NW corner of Lake and Altadena Dr. Also consider that the nearest grocery store is the Ralphs on Lake below Mendicino. It's not the greatest, but it is the closest. Check out the poor results of the Pasadena Public schools, too, if you have kids.
MSD, I recommend researching this on the internet including the Megan's Law website. I have lived in my house over 7 years and I consider my neighborhood safe, but in the past month we have had several weird things happening - all that to say that crime happens everywhere.

Another thing I recommend is driving around the neighborhood at different times of the day and night to get a feel for the area.

All the best!
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 8, 2008
Although this is an old question, I had to respond. I have lived in West Altadena for about 20 years. I agree when I say, learn the area you're in. I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere at night. I don't care if it's Altadena or Beverly Hills. If it's residential, there is a risk of danger. Use common sense!!! I've personally never had any problems in my neighborhood and a live just south of Altadena Drive. The biggest mistake people tend to make is developing a false sense of safety because of the "area" they live in.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 26, 2010
I live between Lincoln/Fair Oaks and Altadena/Loma Alta. I have lived here for three years (moved from Hollywood) and have never felt unsafe.
I am in the same boat as you. I am looking to buy, and west Altadena appears to offer a lot of potential. Some of the houses look great, especially for those of us looking for a starter home.

Also, west Altadena's proximity to the 210 is such a nice asset that it's sad to hear that crime remains an issue. I have driven around the neighborhood at night, during the day, and get excited about its potential. But I work long hours and would hate to come back home to find something fishy at home, etc.

All in all, I would like to hear more from those new homeowners in west Altadena to let us know how it's going for them. The location of this area is just too good to pass up. With its hiking, closeness to Old Town, etc., it's just such a bargain.

Any new West Altadeneans care to comment?
I rent in this area and it is "not bad" however, the streets vary. Some streets are better maintained than others, and north of Loma Alta is actually really nice. The people in the community are very down-to-earth and friendly. However, it is not someplace I would walk alone at night, though during the daytime is fine.
Unless you live within a gated community less than 1 mile to the ocean, you are not safe in Southern California Our economy is breaking down and people are getting angry and nasty. Anyone who appears as though they have money is a potential target. Beware and be safe.