Billy, Real Estate Pro in Mount Vernon Square,...

Is Mount Vernon square Washington DC safe at night for the general Public .?

Asked by Billy, Mount Vernon Square, Washington, DC Wed Jun 29, 2011

I'm interested in property Development in the Area there but ive heard its not safe & in general People will not use any amenities there after dark.

Answers

8
Marty Hosking’s answer
In addition to the thoughts previous agents did very well, I can add that in Mt Vernon construction is underway for the new Marriott Marquis Hotel at the corner of 9th and Mass Ave NW. There will be several sidewalk restaurants. And the architectural group for the hotel said that it will have a lot of see-thru glass and light connecting the interior to the streetscape of the sidewalk. Their idea is to contribute to making the area more pedestrian-friendly with more activity all around. I know the Whitman building very well, having bought and sold there. It is nice to see how the Mt Vernon area continues to attract more investment.
Billy, I know you asked this question some time ago. I will quickly add that over the last 5 years, Mount Vernon has undergone significant changes. It's a great location for residential development but understand many parts of the area are still undergoing change. Many trailblazers have moved into the area. The closer you are to Penn Quarter and Shaw, the better. But opportunities further to the east are more affordable. In addition, with NOMA nearing full scale, it is helping stabilize the entire Mount Vernon neighborhood. Feel free to contact me anytime for a more in-depth analysis about the current market conditions in the neighborhood.
I wish I could shed some light on your question but all of the previous answers cover it really well.
I recommend that clients visit the neighborhood they're interested in at different times of the day and night and take the routes that they would take (e.g., to Metro or wherever). It's also a good idea to talk to those who live and work in the area, and to the police as well. Below is a link to the police department's crime statistics.
Hi, You can check out http://www.spotcrime.com and /or http://www.homefair.com for in depth crime stats and reports on any area.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Hey Billy,

I always suggest to clients who have a concern with safety to go there themselves and check it out. So if you are afraid of night time foot traffic then go there a couple of nights. All areas of the city has crime and there are several resources to find that information. Additionally, not sure what you are considering developing in the area, but as David has stated, there has been a tremendous amount of development in the area and plans for much more so you may want to look at what permits are already approved, etc....
Fair housing laws prohibits me from generalizing if an area is safe or unsafe. I suggest you walk the beat so to speak and chat up neighbors and merchants during the day and evening and do a few drive bys at night and on the weekend to get a feel for the area.

There may be a website or two with crime stats for the Mt. Vernon and surrounding areas. I would compare the stats of Mt. Vernon against other areas that you may be interested in to really compare apples to apples.
Web Reference: http://www.urbanerealty.com
I think safety is all a matter of perspective, so it is hard to say. 15 years ago, before the Verizon Center, it was not a good area, but there has been a lot of development in the Chinatown area that is starting to push towards Mt. Vernon Square. Several new condos have gone up and they are selling very well.

You can always quantify crime by looking at the DC crime map.
Web Reference: http://crimemap.dc.gov