Kyle, Home Buyer in Sherman Oaks, CA

Is Lake View Terrace a good neighborhood to buy a home in?

Asked by Kyle, Sherman Oaks, CA Wed Mar 26, 2008

This neighborhood shares the Sylmar zip code of 91342 so it is hard to find specific details on this neighborhood. How is the crime and schools in this area.

Answers

8
Hi Kyle,
Lake View Terrace is listed as a safety rating of 2.5 out of 10. Here are the violent Crime Statistics per the
Foothill L.A.P.D. Station -
pop. 286,416
Category Yearly Statistics Per Person vs. County Average
Homicide 27 10% lower
Rape 67 7% lower
Robbery 1,667 117% higher
Aggravated Assault 562 58% lower
LALife Crime Index
(Violent Crime Overall) 22 22% higher

As far as real estate goes...the average sq ft for a house is $360 per sq ft. and $273 per sq ft for a condo.
Its more affordable than a lot of other LA areas. GreatSchools rates that area about a 3.5 out of 10.
Please feel free to conact us to get more information on specific properties, as well as neighborhoods. You can view greatschools link through our website at http://mylarealestategroup.com/communities.php (great schools is at the bottom of the page) and compare schools directly on your own.
Good Luck to you,
Lou & Alex
LA Real Estate Group
info@myLARealEstateGroup.com
http://www.myLARealEstateGroup.com
Hi, Kyle:

Like any other area, there are some parts better than others. I would look at the Megan's Law website to check on the crime. I haven't heard anything really great about the schools in the area, but I do know there are some great private schools not too terribly far away.

Let me know if I can help you any further with this - I am in Studio City.
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
Before walking away from this area, take a close look at the potential in these houses. These houses are good prospects for upgrade for the money. The more the neighborhood improves, the more the crime rates go down and the home values go up.

Fenton Elementary is a charter school and has grown considerably in what it has to offer children in the area. There are also a number of private schools in this area, including Concordia Lutheran in Sylmar, which is excellent. There are also a couple of Catholic private schools and another private school on Foothill towards Sunland, which I am told, has a good reputation.

Some of the properties up here are zoned for horses. That is something you don't see very frequently, and yet we are close to all of the major shopping areas. It takes only about 15 to 20 minutes to get to Glendale shopping, and about the same time to go to Northridge, another big shopping center area. We are close to the San Diego and Hollywood Freeways and all the shopping that are on that route.

Lake View Terrace gives you the advantages of both city and country lifestyles, depending on what you seek. Any area is what you make of it.
We have lived here for over 25 years. When we first moved into this neighborhood, it has a bad reputation and it was a high crime area. Over the years, it has mellowed considerably. It is now a fairly quiet neighborhood. Aside from those who got caught in the economic downfall and went into foreclosure, this has proved to be a steady neighborhood.

There is currently little turnover in houses, yet these are solidly built if a bit dated. Most of those, such as ourselves, who have remained over the years have done considerable upgrades to our properties.

The potential for growth for this area is high if people would take a good look at the surrounding area. The Hansen Dam has gone from being a park where nobody would visit to a park that has been greatly improved and on any given day, is now highly active with family groups making good use of the park. The city has added a wonderful swimming pool, a boating and fishing lake, a really nice library and playground area and its just minutes from our homes.

There is a small strip mall on Foothill that contains a small market, some fast food places and a few family-owned shops. You are at the tail end of most of the freeways so we are minutes away from most of the amenities in the valley. There is a strip mall about 10 minutes away in Sylmar and another in Sunland about the same distance. There is an additional strip mall on Hubbard and Glenoaks in Sylmar.

As to schools, we have, besides the original Fenton Avenue elementary school, a brand new charter school just down the street. ACE academy, which is only a few blocks towards Sylmar, is less than 5 years old and houses several individual schools within a school, including one that is geared towards science, one that specializes in fine arts and one that specializes in teacher prep. There are several other Jr. and Sr. high schools within our district.

I am looking at the reported criminal statistics for this area. In the years since we have been here, we have not seen this in our immediate neighborhood. Because this is part of the Foothill division, the statistics reported include those of Pacoima, which is below us and separated from us by the freeway. Much of what you see here happens more in the Pacoima area and not directly in Lake View Terrace. Much of our former reputation for trouble is just that--reputation.
Great Area, you want to be EAST of the Lake View Terrace Rec Center on foothill Blvd. The area has lots of horse people. If you are into horse great place or don't mind the horses in the neighborhood. Call me with any question about equestrian properties or others.
i live in lake view terrace i love my neighborhood. We have chartet school which my son attends.
.
this part of los angeles has high crime rate everywhere. So i think it make sense to do a comparative analysis.Do look at other cities around this. There is a blog in http://www.localindya.com that talks about that.
Web Reference: http://www.localindya.com
I am going to disagree with your analysis. In the 25 plus years we have lived here, we have lived in relative peace with our neighbors. Yes, we have had problems here in the past, but recent years has shown this neighborhood to have settled down considerably.

One of the pockets I saw marked on the map is on the other side of Lopez Canyon. This is a commercial area, not a residential area. The section shown includes the UPS depot and some commercial shops and some storage facilities. The actual residential portion has been relatively quiet for years. The other area would be closer to Kagel Canyon, and is a but more rural, going up towards Dexter Park. Again, that area is more isolated and not part of the primary residential area. The freeway keeps us fairly isolated from the activities below Foothill. There are pockets of good and bad in this area just like there are in any other area of Los Angeles.
Flag Sat Mar 30, 2013
Kyle, right now there are some foreclosure properties available in that area that I have shown recently. I have a friend that lives in a nice part of Lakeview Terrace. She has lived there for over 20 years and has never had a problem in her neighborhood...however, you see the statistics that are listed below...
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com