Crime & Safety in Kensington>Question Details

amanda, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Is Kensington really that bad?

Asked by amanda, Philadelphia, PA Tue Feb 12, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3010346414-3128-Hartville-St-…

Answers

5
Yes, it is "that bad." Some realtors may try to sugarcoat it but this is where I was born and raised and it's disgusting that some people want $1000 a month for a studio or even a 1 bedroom in this horrible area where you are risking your life everyday.

I've been robbed at gun point on my way home from the grocery store at 7:30 pm in the summer so it wasn't even dark outside. I see prostitutes on a daily basis. I have to yell at them to get off my step and the corner of my block because my son can't even play outside without seeing someone passed out from some sort of drug. Just a week ago there was a girl shooting something between her toes across the street from me. These people come from other areas and other cities/states to get their drugs here and ruined a neighborhood that was once really decent. When I was a kid, it was great. Not so much now. There are good people moving in trying to improve the place, which we often call yuppies, but there are not enough of them to take away from all the negative things that happen in this neighborhood. My parents are BLESSED that they live on one of the only blocks in Kensington that is still relatively normal. You will still see prostitutes on the regular, you will hear gunshots at night, you will hear cop sirens and helicopters EVERY night. If this is something you don't mind, go for it. I'm just being realistic and honest with you. I can't wait to get out of this hellhole.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 17, 2013
I believe is that it is that bad. Most of Kensington is severely drug infested. I mean there is needles and other drug related items littered on the ground. It is littered with trash. There are prostitutes always under the el train at night. There may be some nice small blocks but if you leave your block and go 2 blocks up the street you would think you were in a different area. I suggest that you visit the area where you plan to move during the day and at night to look and see for yourself.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 14, 2013
Hi, Amanda.

The question is, what exactly do you mean by "that bad."

First, if you are referring to crime statistics, licensed real estate agents are not allowed to say whether or not they think a certain area is safe or not; it violates our ethics code. Plus, the term "safe" can be extremely subjective.

Second, if you are interested in learning more about the crime statistics for a certain area, please check out this link: https://www.crimereports.com/agency/philadelphia. You can literally look at specific street corners to see recent activity.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Tim

Timothy M. Garrity | REALTOR®, ABR®, e-PRO®
U S Spaces, Inc. | 2043 Locust St. 1F, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson, PA | #RS314897
267-879-2716 - Call & Text
215-829-8850 - Office
PhillyUrbanLiving@gmail.com
PhillyUrbanLiving.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 13, 2013
As Timothy stated, as a Realtor we are not allowed to answer that information. I would suggest checking at the police department and asking them as well. I am a firm believer in going with your gut, and if something does not feel right, there is a reason.
Amanda,

I went to High School at Allegheny and Frankford for 3 years and took the Fkd L every Morning and Afternoon until I got my set of Hot Rod Wheels.. Woo Hoo!

From my own experience.... Its like Any City Urban Area..... you just watch where you walk at late times of the Night.... Try this link, http://www.walkscore.com/

All the Best J C RE/MAX