Crime & Safety in Brockton>Question Details

Darrell Smith, Other/Just Looking in Soouth Dakota

Is Brockton, ma safe enough to move a family of 5 (3 little girls) too?

Asked by Darrell Smith, Soouth Dakota Mon Nov 17, 2008

Actually Trulia posts crime statistics you just need to search their site. Lots of families live in Brockton but if you are questing it I suggest you spend some time there this weekend walking around and checking out the local community. it is the best way to determine if it's the right place for you and your family.

Here is every property on the market in Brockton:
Web Reference:
The best resource for this information is the local police department or the county sheriff's department. They have access to the most accurate and current information and are generally willing to be helpful.

Best advice and agent can provide!
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Absolutely not...I've lived here for 28 yrs and I hate it. The schools are horrible, the unruly children as well. I'm moving my 3 young children out..
I know that this post is a bit old but I just wanted to give my input on Brockton. I have been living here for the last eight years with my husband and two children. It is true there are definately good parts and bad parts of Brockton. I am fortunate enough to live on an very quiet and well maintained street on the east side. My children do amazing in the school system. I was very nervous at first to put my kids in the schools in Brockton but I did my research and both my kids have done very well. I have one that is a high honors student and one that needs a little bit more attention in school....both kids get what they need from their schools. It is a city so Brockton does tend to get more funding in the schools than most small towns in the area. My advice is do your research. Also, in this day in age no matter where you live there is going to be areas and people you want to stay clear of. I was lucky in finding a nice neighborhood with great neighbors and nice families. Hope this helps people that are considering Brockton.
I think that Brockton is safe enough to move a family of 5 (with 3 little girls). Like any city there are more desirable areas than others and safer areas than some. Some people seem to think the west side of Brockton is spectacular. Being a long time resident of Brockton I happen to know that is not true. But there are many elite homes on the west side. It is all about location location location.
I would think far west and far east are best (unless things have changed that much)
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012
I was born in brockton its a dive and it not safe for children to live in don't buy there.if u no what good for u and your family.
I JUST bought my 1st home in Brockton. Ma (I will be closing next week) I too was a little unsure about Brockton, BUT it really depends on which parts of Brockton you are looking, Just like cities it has a good
part and a BAD part. The street that I will be on is VERY quiet. I would say to choose your location wisely
if possible stand clear of too many apartment buildings in that area, It depends on what you will and will
not tolerate. NOT ALL parts of Brockton are bad. The WEST Side is the BEST side.. the East side isn't
too bad. The SOUTH side of Brockton is the worst.. .. I have 4 children so I can relate to your concern about picking the SAFEST neighborhood. Good LUCK with your search!!!
im thinking you have your sides of brockton MISTAKEN.
NORTH SIDE AND CENTRAL are the worst areas in brockton
south side, east bridewater side is very nice and still has alot of nice homes with big yards and WOODS something the WEST SIDE doesnt have ,but is nice
east side outskirts is nice as well,, in all reality crime is in every city or town..
Flag Sat May 26, 2012
Hi Henry

Congratulations on entering the housing market at a great time - when both prices and rates are low. I can help you with your financing questions.

What you need to address questions such as property status is a relationship with a real estate agent and a buyer's agent would be ideal. Let me know if you need help with that. In my opinion, however, you may find other areas to represent a greater value than does Brockton.

Tom Stevens
Eagle Nationwide Mortgage, Natick, MA
phone 888-4-1-lowrate x 25 (888-415-6972 x 25)
I am from the South Shore of MA and although I'm not from Brockton, I know the area quite well and would not recommend moving there if you don't have to. There are some nice areas, but there is high crime, gangs, etc. It's like a city and many areas are very rundown...Perhaps you should look at other areas that are more "suburban." Contact me if you need any help, I'd be happy to give you a hand!!!
Hello Darrell. Tough question to answer; most realtors cannot really answer this legally- that's why there's been no responses yet. I'm not an expert of Brockton, but I do know that some of it is quite "iffy" whereas a lot of it is much like most other towns or suburbs. This question is always relative - it depends on what you are used to as a resident. Best bet is to talk to the police precincts in town about the crime rate in different neighborhoods or areas.
If I can be of any help, let me know. Thanks and Good Luck,

Ken L.