Crime & Safety in Seattle>Question Details

Shannon, Other/Just Looking in Salt Lake City, UT

Im so unfamiliar with Seattle. My husband will be working there soon. What areas should I avoid looking at for rentals?

Asked by Shannon, Salt Lake City, UT Tue Nov 15, 2011

Answers

4
Depending on the amount you want to spend as a huge impact on what I would say next.. A very general rule is stay on the West Side of 1-5. West Seattle/Magnolia is a GREAT AREA!! Unfortuanlty rental prices are really expensive. In many cases it is more affordable to buy then rent. Rentals there are starting around $1,600. If you go a little further south to the Burien area you are still in a good area and it's more affordable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 27, 2011
I think the place to start is what part of town will he be working in, how many bedrooms, do you have pets or kids and what's your budget? Ultimately, your budget is going to determine how much flexibility you have.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Avoid for what purpose, Shannon?
If your primary concern is safety then. . . avoid every neighborhood except the West side of Magnolia, Blue Ridge, North Beach, Upper Queen Anne, Matthew's Beach, Laurelhurst, View Ridge, Madison Park, and/or Wedgewood. If I were renting or buying, I'd go for Magnolia. But your choice will also depend on where in Seattle your husband works as the commute can really vary depending on the neighborhood, what your price range is, and what amenities you want to live near. If you didn't care so much about crime you might want to check out Wallingford, Belltown, West Seattle (as close to the Sound as you can get), Mt. Baker, Phinney Ridge, Montlake, Madrona, Columbia City, Ballard, or Ravenna as these neighborhoods have a lot to offer. If your husband doesn't mind a commute of 1/2 hour or so, consider Bainbridge Island--extremely low crime and great place to live. Other outlying neighborhoods that you might want to consider if you want a more suburban feel include: Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, or Sammamish (to the East). If you want a great deal, consider Shoreline, Lake Forest Park, Bothell, Kenmore, Burien, DesMoines, or Federal Way, though I don't think crime rates are that great in any of those places.