Crime & Safety in Seattle>Question Details

Michelle, Home Buyer in

I would like to know about the North Seattle area. 143rd st. and near Aurora. Is this a good area?

Asked by Michelle, Thu Mar 27, 2008

Mark Despain’s answer

Real estate agents have to be careful not "steer" people to or from specific areas for a variety of reasons including fair housing laws. If you make your question more specific then perhaps we can answer or recommend links where you can find more information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 27, 2008
if you are so worried about being politically incorrect that you cannot even answer another human being, why do you go on a website at all?
It's not about being politically incorrect. It's about violating federal law on steering.
Flag Sun Mar 1, 2015
I'm not a real estate agent. In my opinion, almost any area that is adjacent to a major freeway or highway is going to see higher crime and be less desireable overall. I would suggest something more to the West.

I will be sitting an open house on the corner of 143rd and Corliss this Sunday if you would like to get an idea of what homes cost in the area. The home is a 4 bedroom and 1.5 bath home. It is about 1600 sqft and is listed for $392K. I always bring a list of other comparables available in the area with me. I'd love to see you there.
Hi Michelle!
Check out the city's own crime rate resource here:
I like this one because you can break it up into areas as well as crimes...

You may want to check out punch in the zipcode and it will give you all kinds of information about the area. Also is a great resource. You plug in an address and it will automatically populate a google map with every business within walking distance of that address. It is a lot of fun to compare neighborhoods.

That are of Seattle seems to have a good number of homes for sale right now. Compared to other neighborhoods the prices are really reasonable. You may also want to look a little further north in Shorleine which starts at 145th. Also, really reasonalble prices and great neighborhoods.

I live near Aurora around the 90th street area. We have a 5 month old and love our community. Because Mark is correct that we need to be careful in what we say, I always direct my clients to criminal stat sites and the sex offenders lists. It is a great way to view what is going on and make the decision for yourself.

Some History:
North Seattle and Shoreline are seeing a huge change in their landscape as Townhome Units are replacing a lot of old rental and dilapidated homes. The Dept of Transportation is expecting 1.5 million people to move to Seattle by the year 2015 so I would assume that this trend will continue as many of these people will want to live close to downtown as possible. Housing for these homes in our area has sky rocketed in the past few years, leveling off (not dropping) this year due to our current economic condition. I can only imagine that the development will continue, albiet at a slower pace, but still providing change to our ever growing community.

I hope this information helps…