Crime & Safety in Makawao>Question Details

Teddybear, Home Buyer in Makawao, HI

I want to purchase a home on piiholo road in olinda. Is that a safe place to live?

Asked by Teddybear, Makawao, HI Wed Feb 3, 2010

Answers

9
Hi Teddybear,

Safe compared to what? Safe from what? Do you refer to criminal activity or big black cats who roam around at night? Do you think anywhere is safe?

Good luck with your search.

Aloha!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 3, 2010
Aloha TeddyBear,

I live very close to the area myself and would say it is a very safe area. I would agree with the other respondents that you should contact the local Maui PD and ask about the area. It is a small country town where everyone knows everyone so there is definitely a great sense of community. I would consider it much safer than most metropolitan areas.

If you would like any additional information about the area please feel free to contact me anytime.

Patrick Franta R(S)
808.280.7728
LivMaui.com
I recently spoke to a resident of Olinda-- the resident relayed due to the lush surrounding forest, during windy weather trees often fall and block the roads. If you are still looking to purchase in the Olinda area, you may want to carefully examine neighboring trees to ensure the safety of the occupants of the home you are interested in. As far as crime, you would definitely want to contact the Maui Police Department and/or research online about crime in the area.
I consider it safe… not sure what exactly you are referring to….
teddybear: it is very safe and my house is for sale. 1685 Piiholo Rd.
its very safe. I used to live up piiholo rd and never had any problems.
I love the area myself. I would feel totally safe. That being said, it is a rural area, and weird things can happen anywhere. If it would help you sleep at night, perhaps a security alarm would be a good idea.
Keep in mind opinions are subjective--why not visit the area and chat with some local residents and as already stated by Jeffery, contact/visit the local police department and ask about all your safety concerns--you'll be happy to have heard all the information firsthand.
I think so yet you should call the Maui police department and ask the same question. You can get a public record report on crime and illegal activity's for any neighborhood.