Crime & Safety in Charlotte>Question Details

Laura, Home Buyer in Malvern, PA

I may be relocating to Charlotte. I am trying to avoid any areas with high crime. I live in a very nice, safe

Asked by Laura, Malvern, PA Mon Mar 3, 2008

area outside of Philadelphia. What areas are recommended? I will be working near Renaissance Park. Thank you.

Answers

22
Laura,

I think everyone understands what you want. It's what everyone wants..security, safety, quiet
enjoyment of your property.

Hire a Buyers Agent and let him/her work for you. It's what we do.
Web Reference: http://www.RelyOnDean.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 8, 2008
Hi, While this is an very valid question, I am surprised at some of the answers you got as it is a violation of fair housing laws for real estate licensees to give opinions regarding the safety of a neighborhood. We are supposed to provide you with contact information for local police departments and tell you to drive the neighborhoods you are considering at different times of day to determine you own comfort with the area. The perception of safety is very subjective and only you can make that determination. The State of NC also has a website with the sex offenders data base where you can put in any address and it will provide names, photos and address of all registered sex offenders. Beware of any agents trying to get your business by breaking the fair housing laws!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2008
Dear Laura,

I have lived inCharlotte most of my life and feel very safe, I don't know were some of these people get their information. Please don't let some of these folks make you paranoid. Since your work is located near Renaissence Park and with Charlotte is having some commuter growing pains I would suggest south Charlotte or a nice sub-division right accross the border South Carolina in rural Fort Mill. North Charlotte Huntersville and that area is great if you work in that area, but you don't want to be sitting in traffice most nights heading north out of the city.
Fort Mill York county and FortMill Lancaster county have some great neighborhoods that are close to the Ballantyne, Carolina Place Mall and River Gate Shopping Center. If you are still looking for good answers and neighborhood you can contact me on thru my website and I'll be glad toe-mail you neighborhoods and information for this area of south, southwest and the immediate close area of South Carolina.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Ideal neighborhood may be The Pavilion in Huntersville offering easy access to Renaissance Park, Cabarrus County as well as Lake Norman and Charlotte. What is your timeframe - homesites in the neighborhood can be purchased now for building. Three choices of custom builders in this neighborhood.
Angela
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 6, 2008
Well, you can try a neighborhood i know called Withrow Downs II, in Charlotte. It is very close to Cabbarus County, and you can practically walk to the speedway from it. It is a nice neighborhood, relatively quiet with houses coming at good prices. In fact, I saw a fairly large one last week going for 187.000. It semed like a good deal, so it might go fast. I hope this helps your question, but if you want to buy a house in that area, call me at 704 453 3093.
Davidson would probably be the area where I would feel most safe. I'm actually selling my Charlotte house and moving to the Raleigh area, but if I was moving locally, I would definitely be checking out Davidson.
Huntersville! It borders Charlotte on the north side.
I live in South Charlotte, while I agree with the man above that crime here is less than other areas, that is not saying much. We have way too much crime here, and much of it gets unresolved. I came from the D.C. area which was much larger an dless crime. My auto insurance doubled when I moved here, and my area had 3-times as many people. My county alone had more people than all of Charlotte. Yet my auto insurance doubled. yes, people have driving poroblems here, you will be shocked by some of the things you see on the road here. But it is also due to theft. Morew crime poer capita here than in D.C.

Best advice is to check the websites mentioned above and talk to the police. Avoid talking to neighbors, most of them are full of it or have their own agenda anyway, so it's hard to know if you are getting straight advice. Maybe they see youhave kids and want to keep their neighborrhood quiet and professional - so they will tell you there is tons of crime when maybe there isn't. Good luck. (I would also recommend not looking at Fort Mill, SC - as a realtor above suggested. What she didn;t twell you ois how red that area is. Charlotte is a very rural area, it has only recently grown and has a long way to go as far as infrastructure and increasing the tax base and increasing per capita income. A long way to go. Chartlotte is about 15 years behind where I lived in DC, Fort Mill is about 20-25. Charlotte is red enough, you don;t want to deal with Ft. MIll, trust me.)
Please go to cmpd.org (the police web site) and you will verify that this area is near one of the highest crime pockets in the city. You will also see that South Charlotte by far has lower crime rates overall compared to east, west.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Hi Laura....I work for a New Home Builder Standard Pacific Homes and we will be starting construction on some beautiful townhomes in City Park. City Park is going to be next door to Renaissance Park off Tyvola they will have Courtyards, Detached garages If you would like more information you can visit our website at Standardpacifichomes.com go to Charlotte look for coming soon! City Park or close by on the South Carolina side look at Cobblestone great community. Hope this was helpful.
Laura,

Call the local police dept. that patrols a certain area you are interested in. Also, the best resource is typically the neighbors. They will tell you who does not take care of their lawn, who has had their car broken into, and who likes to play their music on Sunday evenings.
Web Reference: http://www.frankdiez.com
Laura

The local government for Charlotte-Mecklenburg County has established a website, http://www.charmeck.org, that will provide crime statistics based on a particular area. You may wish to go to that cite to research any area that you have interest in. Additionally, you will will a wealth of other information at that site.

Sylvia
Hello Laura,
Feel free to check out the school report cards on my site, http://www.yolondareedy.com I think you'll find that Fort Mill schools and the area can't be beat! We have great housing, parks, dog parks, restaurants, and only 16 miles to uptown Charlotte. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the area or send you a list of homes. Sincerely, Yolonda
Web Reference: http://www.yolondareedy.com
Charlotte has crime spread throughout just like Philadelphia. I live in a townhome out in Ballantyne. I find it completely safe and secure. It's not a gated community and I can walk my dogs at all hours of the night with no problem. I am from New York City so this is a great area. Are you looking for a townhome? Mine is for sale or rent.
I am a provider of postal mail box service in the metro Charlotte, North Carolina area. I specialize in helping people, who are moving to this area, establish a street address for personal or business purposes. This can be done via email or over the telephone. – the client does not have to be present in North Carolina to set up mail box service with me. This helps the client by having a postal address before actually moving here.

Our services include mail (USPS) receiving, package receiving (Fedex, UPS, any courier, etc.), mail and package forwarding and much more. This service provides the client with a number and street address – not a PO Box address. We offer secure mail and package handling along with 24 hour access.

mberosedale@email.com
Laura,

The best source of information..? ... call a cop ...

When we first started looking we heard opinions from everyone .. the University area was the best, then Ballantyne, Mathews, Belmont, etc etc ... no matter were they lived, it was the best area..l.o.l..

Then we just started asking cops in their cruisers ..and that made it a very simple task.

They know all the in's and out's, and they were very helpful and some spoke for 30/40 minutes about the area's and the history and where to go ..

Charlotte is a big city, a nice city .. it's divided up into 9 different sections and it's a up and comer, you really need to spend the time to look before you leap .. there is some great area's here - don't miss them with one opinion ....

-
If you are working in Renaissance Park, I recommend you work with a knowledgeable buyers agent who can give you a neighborhood tour based on your price point and distance from work. Our job as agents is to give you all of the resources you need to make an informed decision, which includes websites to search local crime rates, etc. I always recommend to my clients they call the local police department and they will tell you from personal experience which neighborhoods have low incidents and which to stay away from! South Charlotte, Ballantyne, Steele Creek, and Belmont are a few areas I recommend exploring as the neighborhood layouts/feel may help you narrow down your search. I live in the Belmont area and work in the South Charlotte/Ballantyne area. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I am happy to help!

Rebecca Ivanov, Helen Adams Realty
rivanov@helenadamsrealty.com
Hi Laura! I would love to give you detailed information about the area. You need a buyers agent. Without a buyer agency agreement (verbal, implied, or written) all agents represent the sellers. Here is a website that you can visit to research Charlotte Mecklenburg crime levels: http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime…
I live within 2.5 miles of Uptown, there is "some crime" in surrounding areas, but only what you would expect inner city. I am licensed in NC and SC if you would like to use me as a Buyers Agent and I can provide information in both states and show property. I hope to hear from you soon. http://www.queencitygal.com email: gmarks@cbunited.com
Hi Laura,

Another alternative is just below Charlotte in Union County. Western Union has many of the top schools
in the greater Charlotte market, (NC Governors Schools of Distinction). You would be withing 10 to 20
minutes of some of the most desired shopping in the area.

You didn't mention the price point you are looking in.

If you log onto my website and send me your home purchase criteria, I can establish your own personal
home search site out of the Multiple Listing Service, that will keep you updated by emial of all new listings
as they come on the market. You actually see them before I do.
I will coach you on how to best utilize it.
In addition there are many new home communties in development in the same area, as well as Lancaster County, SC. Both, as York County, can boast much lower taxes and highly sought after schools.
I'll be happy to assist you in your search and your next home purchase.
And what I do cost you nothing.
Laura,
Take a lot at this development. This is a very nice development, and very safe. It is a gated community with many great amenities. Please contact us for more details and how to get the very best deal there. Good Luck!
Cobblestone Park, A Ginn Community
Shopping…
New Center adjacent to Cobblestone being developed. Cobblestone residents will have own private access road and gate to this. Electronic chips in resident windshields open and close auto.
Sandhills Village: Great shopping, 15 minutes
Columbia Mall: 10 minutes
Columbiana Center Mall: 20 minutes
Charlotte: Great for shopping, 55 minutes
Medical…
Providence Hospital: 2 exits from Cobblestone, 5 minutes
Medical University is in downtown Columbia
Cobblestone is…
18 minutes from downtown Columbia
55 minutes to Charlotte, NC
2 hours to the beaches of SC
2 hours to the ski slopes of NC
Other Facts…
No tax base in the town of Blythewood
Richland County property taxes just reduced by 58% due to sales increase raise to 7%
$700,000 home, taxes here are $2,400
SC Governor is proposing to cut state income tax from 7% to 3.5% with balance funded by cigarette tax increase
Have you thought about moving to the Fort Mill area? This is just on the other side of Charlotte in SC. It's only 30 min. from Up town Charlotte. We have lower taxes and great schools. This is a booming area! People just love it. I get a lot of people who tell me that they wish their Realtor had told them about it. Check out more at my website. http://www.soldbyspeed.com. If you would like to know more about this area or you just want to stay in the Charlotte area, I can help you too. Give me a call. 803-487-2357. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.Soldbyspeed.com
Hi Laura,
If you are referring to RENAISSANCE PARK off of W. Tyvola Rd near the Charlotte Douglas Intl Airport, I would like to invite you to ck out YORK COUNTY, SC. We are right across the state line only minutes from Tyvola Rd. There is Fort Mill, Lake Wylie, Baxter Village, Rock Hill...all are wonderful, low crime areas, slower paced than the Charlotte "hurry up and wait" and the best thing is that the cost of living , the price of housing, and taxes are much lower than in Charlotte. I would be glad to send you a free RELOCATION Kit from my Agency that tells all about the area here AND in Charlotte. Even though we are in SC, we are kinda like a little suburb of Charlotte, only in a different state and only minutes away.

Please email me your name and address and phone number and I will get the Relocation Kit right out to you. I also have plenty of website information sites that will lead you to our areas major Information search pages to tell you all about our town and the surrounding areas. I personally live in Rock Hill and have lived here almost all my life...born and raised here.

Kimberly Gaffney
Allen Tate Realty (The #1, Largest Local Real Estate Agency in NC and SC)
Rock Hill office, SC
803-417-4209
BUYHOMESFROMKIM@GMAIL.COM

Hope to hear from you soon.