R, Home Buyer in Los Angeles County, CA

I'm thinking about purchasing a condo in Monterey Hills, however, my concern is re: the surrounding area.

Asked by R, Los Angeles County, CA Mon Mar 23, 2009

What are the downsides in moving to such an isolated area, i.e, Highland Park shares the same zip code and the crime rate is higher than I am comfortable with. Monterey Hills is in the Hollenbeck Area but Hollenbeck station is not close by. And considering resell value, there are no schools in Monterey Hills, etc.

Pat Rollie’s answer
The Monterey HIlls is a wonderful community and the location is just minutes from So Pasadena, Pasadena and Northeast Los Angeles. I live just minutes away and have sold units in the Monterey Hills and my clients have been quite happy. About a month ago, the Los Angeles Times wrote a front page article about Highland Park that I think you will find encouraging. I strongly suggest you look at the Times archives and read the article. There is a very active home owners Group for the adjacent community of Hermon. Early in the evening you will find quite a few people out walking their dogs or simply taking a walk. I'm sure they would be delighted to give you first hand knowledge of the community. I have owned condos there over the years that I used as rental property and my tenants were always content with the area.
Generally speaking, the safest cities are those where they have their own smaller police departments (Pasadena, Santa Monica, Culver City, etc.). LAPD has a huge area to patrol and you just do not get the attention of a smaller city. 90032 is fringe area but where else can you get a 3 bedroom newer condo with a pool for under 200K anywhere in LA County? It is gated so that also is pretty rare at that price.
Hi R,

I've sold several places in Monterey Hills over the last few years. This can be a great area convenient to most of LA and there are a lot of condos to choose from. Yes, you are close to some not so great areas but there has been a lot of gentrification in that area. The key is to find the right condo building because some of the buildings have had a lot of problems in the past. There are some great deals. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm happy to help.

Grant Linscott
323.333.6222 Cell
Hey R,

Instead of Monterey Hills, and if safety is a concern, you might want to think about purchasing a condo in the Pasadena area, as there are some nice places & great values. Also, there is a large police presence in Pasadena and is a much safer area then Highland Park - I walk around there all the time at night & feel very safe. Plus you have the convenience of having many shops, restaurants & stores within in walking distance living near Old Town Pasadena. If you need any help scoping out a place, I'm an agent with Coldwell Banker & live in Eagle Rock - I'd be happy to help you out & answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to give me a call at 323-810-7976 or send me an email at john.barry@coldwellbanker.com

Thanks, have a good night!

John Barry
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage