Crime & Safety in Rochester>Question Details

auroran.as, Renter in Rochester, NY

I'm moving to Rochester, and am a young female planning on living alone. What areas should I avoid moving to.?

Asked by auroran.as, Rochester, NY Sat Aug 18, 2012

Answers

18
Gary Wolyn’s answer
Rochester and the surrounding area is a wonderful place to live and work! If you are still considering moving to Rochester, you can always check out http://www.crimereports.com to see what areas have more frequent instances of crime-related activities.
I am amused and distressed by the replies to your question. All Rochesterians are not illiterate or afraid of living in the city. There are many neighborhoods that offer community spirit and are safe, Corn Hill, Park Av area,North Winton/Browncroft,Cobbs Hill, to name a few. Interview different realty people to find a good match and don't follow the advice of the majority of responders.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
I myself live in the Park Avenue area of the city and feel very safe here.
I've lived in the roc my whole life!
Places to live:
Greece
Charlotte
Hilton
Chili/ gates
Hennriatta
Pretty much any suburbs in rochester

Places to stay away from:
The hood. Aka Clinton ave
Joseph ave
Clifford ave
Ave A through E

Good parts of the city:
Corn hill
Park ave/ monroe ave

:) have fun
Welcom to Rochester. You will find this city as one of the most beautiful with the Great Genesee flowing through it and the Old Erie Canal sytem entertwining it. There are many, many beautiful neighborhood within its city limits. I suggest you take a drive around the area and talk to its people. This way you can get an individualized feeling for each area. Of course price is a factor and I do not know what yours is. Perhaps you can tell me a little about yourself and that will lead us in the right direction.

Call me!
Cathy Barton, Broker
Allison James Estates and Homes®
Direct Line: 585-586-8850
cbarton@rochester.rr.com
east side
Pittsford- Brighton
Or if you like shops and walking park ave in the city. Stay away from the city- If you are looking for a house Pittsford has the highest taxes- Henrietta has the lowest.
Stay away from the north towards the beach. Very important you are in a safe area. Brighton is good. Webster is even good- young couples. Victor is great.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hi, There is definitely areas have the rel estate agents are going to help you with making that decision when you go out to look for a house and they will guide you with comments that will make you comfortable with where to buy at. I was the same as when I moved into the Rochester area 5 years ago and I can say I loved the decision I made when I finally bought my new home. My home is now up for sale and I just want you to be open about where you decide to buy. Because there is area's of the city that are very nice and when you may only have your self to depend on it is nice to be on the bus route to get your self around if you ever had to fall back on that. Also the garbage is part of your taxes and not a separate bill as it is in other area's. Also the city does a great job at keeping the roads cleaned up after a snow. If they did not then they might have a problem getting the City workers to work. One thing I did allot before I bought my house is do allot of drive bys at different times of the day to get a feel for the neighborhood. Are kids out side play? Are their people out walking the neighborhood, Is there personal items being displayed in front of the houses? If people are not comfortable in their neighborhoods then you would not see these things. Feel free if you have any questions that I can answer for you to reach out to me at laura789123@aol.com.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Best to ask "What are the better areas in which to live:)" May I suggest the Merchants/Browncroft area, the Park Avenue District, or maybe areas close to Brighton. Good Luck
We're delighted that you are coming to the Rochester area.

You are asking a question that NYS Brokers are not allowed to answer.

Do you plan on renting or purchasing? How long do you plan to live in Rochester? What is your budget? These are ony a few of the many questions that we need to know before we could tell you what areas you qualify for.

Feel free to correspond with me.

Cathy Barton, Broker
Allison James Estates and Homes®
Direct line: 585-586-8850
Direct email: cbarton@rochester.rr.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
You should move to the Park Avenue area.
Hi - Rochester NY is a great city to live in. However, when you are close to moving give me a call or send me an e-mail and I will be happy to work with you and find you a home of your choosing in an area that you pick.
Annette,

To calm your concerns, individual investors are legally allowed to purchase properties (many of which we use Realtors to help us find), fix them up and sell them again (also often using a Realtor). There is no law prohibiting that.

Being that Joe has participated in his family business involving both commercial and residential deals for over 20 years, I would say that he definitely qualifies as a "Professional". Just because someone went to school and got a license does not necessarily mean they are a "Professional"--especially since many "newbie Realtors" have no experience whatsoever upon graduation. I can honestly say this because I attended school to become a Realtor back in 2007 and I had ZERO experience when I finished my training. I wouldn't have been bold enough to call myself a professional just because I obtained a license.

I'm not quite sure why you have such serious concerns being that you are not even in our market (if you were, I would offer to take you to lunch to meet) but I am jealous that you get to live in FL!!! I will be spending 4 months there early next year and I will be about 2.5 hours south of your area, so I would be willing to meet you half way if you have any interest in networking together.

Pamela
It is very exciting moving to a new area and there are some amazing communities in Rochester and the surrounding suberbs. I would love to show you around and then you can choose a community where you are most comfortable.
As a realtor I can not tell you where to live.However,I can suggest that you take the following into consideration; How much time do you want to spend commuting to work?
Do you enjoy a rural or surban setting?
Rochester has alot to offer but up to you research the neighborhoods.I would start with the local news paper which is the Democrate & Chronicle and visit the town website.
Wow!
I've got some concerns here.
JOE BUYER title shows REAL ESTATE PRO, which means real estate professional.
Your profile shows, "“We Buy and Sell Rochester Properties -- Joe & Pam”"
If you are accepting compensation for buying and selling real estate you will need to be licensed in the State of New York. Has that requirement changed?

You write, " However, myself and my boyfriend are INVESTORS and are not bound by that rule, so my answer was being straight with you." If this is true you are not a PRO by Trulia definition.

And further you write, "anot be 100% honest with you" Whom are your referring to?

Now Joe and Pam, "Are you assisting others and accepting compensation for buying and selling real estate in New York?"
Do you have a license to do so?
If you do not, you should cease promoting yourself as a professional. If you are licensed, you are bound by EXACTLY the same laws.
-
Having lived in Rochester NY for some time, it become apparent what four months of cloud cover can do to ones psychological outlook. Those four persistently gloomy winter months were a real trial. For a city with such a small population, the violent news was a real eye opener. I worked at the downtown Church at the end of the bridge near East Ave and Alexander.

I've also spent many pleasant times in the grit on Monroe.
Clearly it takes an individual with 'special' insight to appreciate the eclectic nature of a truly diverse community reflected not only in ethnicity but in economic classes. For those who have eyes that see, what is happening to us all appears first with these. This is where the opportunity to teach our young what 'justice' evolves into when those who make the decisions live in Greece, Pittsford, Henretta and Webster.

A lot like our healthcare system. Those who create and pass our nations healthcare laws DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the system they create. The result is the most expensive system in the WORLD!

You don't need to be a gray hair to realize random acts of calamity can occur anywhere. As long as the unstable can drive, or even take a bus, they are able to access any community. Just like someone you don't like can move in next door bringing calamity to your street. The real security resides in individual vigilance. Real safety exists when the real world in known, not feared.

Like in any urban community, safety allegedly exists outside the beltway. That means you're half way to Hammondsport and the Riesling Wine region.

How I don't miss pumping gas in 15 degree F temperatures.
After a week or two of 15 degrees, that is a great time to visit Niagara Falls. IT's an amazing Ice Palace!

Wish you the very best in your relocation to Rochester NY
By the way, Anna is correct. A licensed REALTOR is prohibited by law to tell you which areas are "good" and which are "bad" because it is considered discrimination and they could lose their license. However, myself and my boyfriend are INVESTORS and are not bound by that rule, so my answer was being straight with you.

We work with many Realtors and there are some very good and ethical ones out there, but be careful because (as in ANY profession) there are those who are just looking to get a commission on a sale and will not be 100% honest with you about an area. I have seen this happen over and over again up here and it makes me sick to see good people end up in terrible and dangerous areas just because someone wanted to make a buck.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!! When you are up here, visit areas you are considering living in during the day AND at night (but make sure you have someone or a big dog with you) so you can see for yourself what goes on in the area at night. It is especially deceptive in the winter because you can go to a nice looking neighborhood (let's say the Maplewood area) during the day and everything will seem quite (because the thugs aren't out in the cold weather the way they are in the summer) and you could get suckered in to buying/renting in that area and be in a bad situation without realizing.

Once again, I am just being straight with you...take your time and be very careful where you chose to live up here. If at all possible, don't move here.
Visit areas of interest more than once, real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase or not in specific neighborhoods.
ALL of the city! Seriously, why are you moving here if you are young, single and female? Go somewhere warm and safer than Rochester. I live and work here and even though this is where our livelyhood is, I would never recommend someone such as yourself to move here. I only moved here because my boyfriend grew up here, but I'm old, female and single and even though I don't live alone, I am shocked by the volume of violent crimes here in the city and would never consider living in this area by myself. (and I lived alone in the hood of Irvington, NJ and I felt safer there).

If you MUST move here, find a nice rental in the suburbs such as Webster, Brighton, Pittsford or Penfield. Stay out of the city. Go to http://www.SpotCrime.com and put in any of the Rochester area zip codes to give yourself an idea of what is going on up here.

Good luck!!!!