Crime & Safety in 61801>Question Details

Joy Howard, Home Buyer in Champaign, IL

I'm looking for general information on neighborhood safety in certain neighborhoods in Urbana, IL.

Asked by Joy Howard, Champaign, IL Mon May 25, 2009

I'm house hunting in the Urbana/Champaign area. I'm specifically interested in any information regarding neighborhood safety in neighborhoods adjacent to Urbana High School. Are these safe neighborhoods to live in? Is there any vandalism history I should be concerned about? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Answers

5
The best resource for this information is the local police department or the county sheriff's department. They have access to the most current and accurate information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 25, 2009
My website has a "research a community" information link where you can search by zip code or town. It also provides lots of other community specific information in addition to crime statistics. You can compare different areas to see which has more or less crime and other stats.

Urbana police department has "crime map" available online. http://www.city.urbana.il.us/, find police, then find report. The most updated one is 2008.
For information like crime and vandalism statistics I would suggest you contact the Urbana police department. I'm sure they would be happy to share with you. In researching neighborhood stats like these it is important to compare areas as opposed to getting info on only one or two areas. The numbers may be misleading until you look at a broader view of a community.
Thank you, Bill. I'll do that.