Crime & Safety in Long Beach>Question Details

Georgie, Home Buyer in Long Beach, CA

I'm hoping to relocate to Long Beach with my family from Ireland. Where's nice tp live and safe? What's the average home cost to buy

Asked by Georgie, Long Beach, CA Sun May 22, 2011

or rent? Thanks Relocation through work

Answers

8
May your home always be too small to hold your friends.
Hi Georgie,

Long Beach would be a great city to relocate to. My family has been in Long Beach since 1922, so I know
the city well. There are so many desireable areas to live, it would be in your best interest to have a
tour of the city to see them. Prices vary, depending on the location and the condition/age of the home. The
approximate average prices for a 3 bedroom 2 bath range from the high $400k's to $500k's in 90815 near Cal State Long Beach, to the high $800k's closer to the ocean. No matter where you live in Long Beach, you're usually not
more than ten minutes from the water.
Hi Goergie: As the other Realtors said Long Beach is a great place to live. I relocated to Long Beach in 1979 and have really enjoyed living here. Most of your questions were answered but in addition I wanted to let you know our office also handles rentals so if you decide to rent first just to see what area you would like to live in feel free to contact me and I can let you know what we have available. It is a great time to buy as well as we have not seen prices this low since the 90's.

Good luck on your relocation!

Barbara Robbins-Olexa, Broker, e-Pro(R), SRES(R)
L B Brokerage
DRE Lic#797560
714-296-7270
bstrealtor@aol.com
http://www.barbararobbinsolexa.com
Servicing Long Beach & Neighboring Communities for 30+ years
We welcome you to Long Beach, Georgie!
Long Beach is a beautiful city and a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
So far, your question has garnered good advice from other agents.

I feel compelled to be blunt...so as to eliminate any confusion about where the safest neighborhoods are located in the city. The eastern portion of the city is the safest area. By taking a one-day drive around, you'll be able to quickly see these areas (yes, there are over 40 total in the city) are better maintained, with lower crime rates. They are also closer to good schools and convenient shopping.

I agree with Melissa McCrone, the Los Altos area is among most desireable. This may be due to the fact that I live in this area and is is also my specialty.

Once again, we welcome you to our city. May you and your family enjoy all it has to offer!
Congrats to you. I would suggest you locate a rental property first. Too many times I have seen people move from out of the area and buy and then wish they had waited to buy. Take your time in locating and securing your knowledge and understanding the many options available in Long Beach. http://www.brentjames.com
Hi Georgie,
There's all different types of areas in Long Beach. If you want to be by the water I would suggest Belmont Shore/Heights. It's a great and fun area just a few steps from the beach, however, the houses are much more expensive and there isn't much property but the location is great. If you have a larger family and kids I would recommend the Los Altos area. The property is much larger and it's a very nice, clean, and safe area. The schools are great as well. In general, the average 3bed/2bath in Long Beach is 500K but it really just depends on the neighborhood. If you have a questions about the city please feel free to email me at melissamccronerealty@gmail.com. Good luck to you! ;)

PS-I'm going to Ireland this summer for the first time. Can't wait!!
Hi Georgie, welcome to Long Beach. Long Beach is a large area with a population of 500,000 and some 40 different residential districts. Most homes sell between $300,000 and $800,000 and mid range will get you a comfortable home in an attractive neighborhood. As an expat you will need to address issues of visa, credit score, bank accounts and mortgage qualification. Real Estate practice differs from that of Ireland; property tax (1.25% of purchase price) is assessed annually. It is usual to have a real estate agent help you find suitable property and represent you in the transaction. Choose one who can work with you on the broader relocation picture.
Web Reference: http://IanHand.com
Long Beach has a variety of homes available for sale throughout the city. If you like historic homes, (not as old as what you will find on your side of the pond), we have 17 historic neighborhoods. Prices of historic homes start in the mid 400K range. For example there is a three bedroom/3bath home in CA Heights for sale for $439,000. It is about 131 sq. meters (1406 sq.ft.) and sits on a nice size lot. A few years ago Sunset Magazine reported that CA Heights was the best neighborhood on the entire west coast of the United States. Another neighborhood, which I like is Carroll Park, which was founded by one of your countrymen, John Carroll.
If you want to be near the water you can choose from various sections of the city like Bluff Park, Belmont shore, Belmont Heights,downtown Long Beach (a lot of condos), etc. We have a variety of styles of homes, prices, etc. to select from. Like any city in the world, there are some parts of the city that you likely will not want to live.
A knowledgeable realtor can help guide you to the best home and neighborhood for your family. Good luck on your relocation to Long Beach and if there is any information I can provide you please call me at 562-754-9941 or email me at jack.nendel@verizon.net