Crime & Safety in 10550>Question Details

Concern Pare…, Renter in 10550

I have a child that live in a high crime area in Mount Vernon. Outside of her Apt. there have been several assaults. Can she break her lease.?

Asked by Concern Parent, 10550 Wed Sep 7, 2011

She is only 20yrs old and goes to School at night.

Answers

4
Hi, I would read your lease agreement to find out what and if there will be any early termination penalty. It will also depend on the landlord, I would try having a talk with them. Another option is to help the landlord find someone new to take her place, this may help them agree.

Chris
Much will depend on the lease agreement, therefore you may wish to consult with an attorney as to her options...
Your question should be directed to an attorney. The lease itself will state the provisions that allow either party to terminate the lease. Consult the lease and your attorney for the answer.

Rey Hollingsworth Falu
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence - Bronxville

Direct 917-855-0277
rhollingsworth@houlihanlawrence.com
Web Reference: http://AskRey.net
Crime rate is not a reason for lease break, simply put she should have investigated better before signing a lease. The environment outside of the property has nothing to do with the property and the landlord would have expected you to find out if the area was suitable before you made an agreement to lease with them! They are only by law required to make disclosure about their property!