Crime & Safety in 10009>Question Details

Jr, Other/Just Looking in 10027

I got scammed by a broker who stole my deposit on a condo. How can I make sure that his real estate license is revoked in NY and other states where?

Asked by Jr, 10027 Tue Mar 30, 2010

he is doing business?

Answers

9
Jr,
This scam artist may not even be a real estate agent or broker but merely posing as one. Are you talking about a rental or a sale? In a sale there would be no turning over of funds from you to an agent. If it is a rental, your checks would be to the landlord or management company.
I would seriously consider making a police report if your money truly was stolen. Then I would Google him to see if he is really associated with a brokerage, contact the broker, and report it there. If he really is licensed, yes, you should report him to the Dept. of State, as that is who issues our licenses.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 30, 2010
WOW that sounds like you have a case, you should be talking to the licensing board
You should be talking to the Division of Licensing Services at the New York State Department of State. They oversee real estate licenses in New York State. The New York City office is located on the 19th floor of 123 William Street between Fulton and John Streets. They will be able to tell you if this person is licensed and if they are, take a complaint which will be investigated and hold a hearing if it is warranted.
Check to see if he/she is with the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY)
Thank you for your help! I will try the realty board and the DOS.
Was this a rental in a condo? Is this agent with a company or working alone? Go to New York Department of State - http://www.dos.state.ny.us/
Feel free to email me "offline" as I would need detailed info to advise you.
nycrealestate@amycasey.com
Generally, no monies are given to an agent or broker. All monies in any transaction are handled by the attornies.
I need to know what happened.
I look forward to your inquiry!
I need a little more info. What happened?
If he/she is not the broker owner--start by contacting the broker owner-- you can report the broker to the local Realty Board and you can also file a complaint with the NYS Department of State, licensing division and you may also wish to consult with an attorney.