Melody Taylor, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I came across a small cottege that has been unocupied for over three years. I'm homeless and I been sleeping in it for over a month with no

Asked by Melody Taylor, San Francisco, CA Thu Oct 27, 2011

water or pg&e, What are my rights at this poin?. Am I legally squatting? Can I be arrested if someone comes and find me their?

Answers

4
Richard Littlefield’s answer
Sorry to hear that you are homeless.

You are thinking of adverse possession, you do not come close to qualifying. You have to have some reasonable claim or color of title. Pay the taxes for 5 years and you have to be open about it. As it is if you are found there you could be arrested.

Can't blame you for trying I guess.
Am not sure this is a real commentary as Tim pointed out. If you are doing something illegal what rights would you expect to have?
Come on Anne, you must be married to a lawyer, and like this lady is going to hire a lawyer.

Yes, you are trespassing at the least and could be arrested. I see you have internet though.
For any necessary legal advice, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; most professionals do offer a free consultation--you may be trespassing...