Crime & Safety in Florence>Question Details

Robin And Gr…, Home Buyer in Colorado Springs, CO

I am wondering if anybody can tell me why does it seem there are so many homes for sale and in very close prox. to each other ?

Asked by Robin And Greg, Colorado Springs, CO Sat Aug 21, 2010

They wouldn't be selling because there are so many prisons close by would they? I also read a statitics that says Florence has a 6.0 crime rate hight than the state average why is that?

Answers

6
You are three times as likely to have your car stolen in Aurora. The murder rate is non-existent in Florence. Assaults and robberies are greater in Longmont and I feel pretty safe here in my town.

Statistics are useful for tracking by police departments, but they can be misleading. The overall rate is about 10 percent higher in Longmont and then Florence is supposed to have a crime rate higher than the rest of the state. Boulder and Castle Rock, which have very few incidents, may skew the numbers.

If you're looking at Florence, you should probably ask a local agent to provide stats and give you their take. They also could give you a rundown on why it seems there are many homes for sale cloistered in one area.

Suz
I teach at Florence High School, and yes, there are a lot of prisons in the area, but remember that there are also high security prisons right in the middle of Jefferson County and people live closer to the one on Quincy and Kipling than any of the homes in Fremont County. Further, if you look at the correct statistics, Florence has a lower crime rate than Denver, Jefferson County and Colorado Springs to give you an idea. They are higher than Boulder, but most city's crime rates are higher than Boulder. The town is populated with people who work as prison guards, farmers, ranchers, and antique dealers. Good people. ;)
I've seen some neighborhoods that have a couple good sales and it helps other neighbors who have been thinking about selling become braver once they see someone else have success! My last listing came from a guy that saw a house down the street sell and a couple other listings go up and he decided that was the confidence he needed to put his on the market as well.
Web Reference: http://www.brookehengst.com
Dear Robin and Greg,

I would direct this question about the crime rate to the local sheriff and police departments. Maybe it lies within their failure to prevent crime and locals know they have a weak law protection force between the two departments and take advantage of this. Direct this question also to the county commissioners and mayor of the town and county. They should be answerable to the public on these types of questions and concerns. The elections are coming up to vote in a new Sheriff and maybe that can help if a new psychology is used to enforce the law in this area.

As far as homes for sale in such a close proximity to each other, it could be possible if it is in one particular subdivision you are speaking of, there may be issues you can discover by obtaining the last 2 years HOA meetings minutes and last year of monthly board meeting minutes and do some research ahead of buying in an area you suspect something is wrong. Sometimes there could be a special assessment that may be in the works and not voted on yet or just the economy has hit this area harder then other areas in our state. There are many variables that can affect why many homes may be on the market all at one time. Good Luck.
Robin and Greg,
You can ask yourself to the residents of the area from forums, here is a good website http://www.city-data.com that you can discuss.

Hope it helps!
Pelin
http://www.dallashomelist.com
Good Question, Lets see who has the answer.
Brian