Crime & Safety in Oceanside>Question Details

Maria, Home Buyer in Oceanside, NY

I am mixed & my husband is black we are planning to move to Oceanside,NY, which is mainly white less than 1% black. Will my kids suffer due to?

Asked by Maria, Oceanside, NY Tue Nov 3, 2009

race? I am a police officer, which does not matter, but I would like some help on this before I move. I have seen in the news & heard that race is an issue. I am from Atlanta so I am not aware of this here, please help. Thanks

Answers

4
Menglish’s answer
Maria, the suburbs around NYC are all really pretty diverse and generally speaking, tolerant. I have a lot of family (white) in Oceanside, and some of them have some subconscious racism ... but everyone is appreciative of the diversity in race, religion and personality that you'll find in and around Oceanside. There are nearby communities with a much higher percentage of black, Latino, etc families (I think Malvern and Freeport spring to mind as vibrant communities with a wider array of skin tones than Oceanside) but Oceanside does have fabulous schools!
I also find that kids on Long Island grow up meeting other kids from all over the island - there are so many family oriented things to do, you will find yourself leaving Oceanside for birthday parties, social events, etc...so your kids won't grow up only seeing just white face after white face.

On a personal level, I would say you don't have to fear any outright racism - certainly not any sort of violence at all! In fact, I think you will find a city filled with very open minded and tolerant people. But of course, the subconscious racism kids encounter can be just as damaging, but I think you will find that absolutely anywhere in our country if you're looking for it.
I am Hispanic & live in Oceanside. The school district is one of the best you'll find on Long Island & well worth the move. I wish the neighborhood were more diverse but I have not experienced any outright racism. No matter where you go there will always be a level of subconscious racism as another person put it but I think you will find yourself happy in Oceanside. You can visit Freeport, Baldwin, etc but in terms of school district, you won't find one much better than Oceanside. Hope that helps.
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
Buy where you'll be happy; since you are new to the area do your homework check out more than one area, visit shops, dine at a local eatery, check out parks or anything else of importance to you and take it from there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 7, 2009
The home I was looking to buy is in a Jewish community and I repect the religion of others & so on. So I am keep searching & maybe find a home that is not in Oceanside maybe Baldwin would be better. Thanks so much for answers to my questions...Maria
Why not stop by the local police department and ask away and hear all the answers firsthand on any crimes in the area.