Ukiehopeful, Renter in Ukranian Village, Ch...

I am looking to rent in the part of Ukranian Village that will put me within walking distance of the Metra station on Western. is this a safe area?

Asked by Ukiehopeful, Ukranian Village, Chicago, IL Sat Oct 30, 2010

Answers

5
Lesley Smith’s answer
i lived at iowa/oakley for years and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the metra, i just went straight down western, i never felt unsafe during commuter times. if you were going to be going over there by yourself later in the evening i wouldn't walk over there alone, there are too many dark, quiet places for people to hide
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2012
http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm

Above is the link to the Chicago Police website where you can enter an address and see reported crimes in the area. From there you can determine if the neighborhood is to your liking. If you'd like me to send you available apartments for rent in a certain area, let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
Hi there, Ukiehopeful.
As our colleagues have stated, it is unethical for a real estate professional to comment about safety.
There's good reason behind this law as the spirit of it is to prevent discrimination.
As far as making the determination about whether an area is safe - it is up to you to decide whether you are comfortable.

One place to begin your research is http://chicago.everyblock.com/.
You can search by address.
We suggest that you enter addresses in the area you are researching AND search addresses for locations you know and where you feel comfortable (to allow for a more fair, informed analysis of the information you find).

Best of luck to you!
If you are concerned about safety, do contact/visit the local police department and ask all your questions, they'll gladly help--also consider visiting the area more than once and at different times of day, chat with locals/neighbors if possible, people watch, etc., and then make a determination.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
Real estate agents usually do not respond to questions about 'safety' as it could violate various Federal anti discrimination laws so our generic answer is usually to suggest that you check out local crime statistics. You should also speak with friends/family/co-workers who might have opinions about the area.
My web site lets you search for rentals if you do not want to work with an agent.