Crime & Safety in Wausau>Question Details

jennlynnk1986, Home Buyer in Wausau, WI

I am looking at purchasing a house near Thom Field in Wausau WI. I heard a rumor there may be some gang related activity. Anyone know if its true??

Asked by jennlynnk1986, Wausau, WI Sun Feb 10, 2013

Answers

8
un4givenfavre’s answer
Newspaper reported a story of gang activity and numerous drug related activities in Wausau's near east side (just east of the downtown district) This area has some of the oldest homes in town with many rental properties and a few forclosures just sitting there in poor condition. The city is looking into condemning them and tearing them down. If you want to read the article it appeared on the front page of the Daily Herald a few weeks back. I believe it was a Sunday paper. Do your homework if you are looking on that near east side of downtown. I personally would not choose that area. Good Luck.
I think one of the best ways to learn about a neighborhood is to ask some of the neighbors. I would also recommend contacting the local police department. I also have a property that should be coming on the market soon in that area.
That area is hit or miss. Some of the areas over there are great some are not. In fact, if you go north of there a quarter of a mile you get into some really nice homes. Go the opposite direction a quarter of a mile an it can get questionable.
If you stay up near tenth street area you will be fine. The closer to town the more cautious you have to be.
I live on Stark and love the neighborhood, we have a beautiful wooded backyard too. In fact my house is for sale! (Zillow)
I live on Steuben st. Two blocks south of thomfield. Haven't had any trouble with gang here. Very peaceful area. Family neighborhood. Good school district also.
Not west Tx. East wausau, wi.
Flag Sat Mar 23, 2013
Lived in that area for years and loved it. Don't let a few bad people sway your desicion to live in a beautiful old neighborhood. Great house available in Stueben right now. Great price and well maintained by a young couple. A jewel in a great neighborhood
Haven't heard of any such thing, lots of remodeling and flips going on in that area, great for home values. I know of a great flip that will be on the market off of Chicago Ave in March.