Crime & Safety in Chicago>Question Details

Bradley Grif…, Renter in Chicago, IL

I am looking at a rental on Ellis Ave just South of 47th street. Is this a safe area?

Asked by Bradley Griffith, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 1, 2012

I will also be commuting daily to the University of Chicago. Would this be a safe place to commute from everyday?

Answers

15
Bradley, Hyde Park is a very socioeconomically diverse area. Some parts are pretty skecthy and even the nicer blocks are only a stone's throw from the not so nice ones. The best/safest is to be as close to the university as possible, do not get a unit on the garden or first floor (easier access for break-ins), always ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, i.e. don't run/walk with your ipod on.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 10, 2012
There is a private grade school on that block, a number of condo buildings that are well-maintained, and 1-2 government/substance abuse/asissted living type buildings on the block. The block has a fair amount of foot traffic and can look a bit dicey at times. At other times it can look very nice. It's a good location that seems to get effected by its not so good surroundings.
You need to visit the area to get a feel for it. Depending on where you are coming from it may or may not be a good fit for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 4, 2012
In regards to your rental-I represent a government backed rent-buy program that will purchase the property for you-in any location u chose- good to bad credit and you won't have to exercise the buy-It's a 2 year program -contact me if u would like know more-YES- YOU CHOSE YOUR PROPERTY-708-953-3056
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 2, 2012
Greetings Bradley,

Be careful about signing the lease without even having seen the place. Come a week or two before school/work begins and stay in a hotel or with friends and due some due diligence on the area. Work with a Realtor to assist you on this. Many qualified ones on this board.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 1, 2012
I have lived in that exact area for 8 years...LOVE IT...you can move anywhere you want, you will not escape crime...whether North Kenwood, or Wilmette...it's diverse, walkable, friendly, neighborly and yes, there is some crime...but I have to tell you, have the University of Chicago police on patrol in addition to Chicago's finest makes a HUGE difference.
Bradley, I have a gorgeous two bedroom condo for rent at 42nd and Michigan for $1400. Let me know if you'd like me to send you pictures or come by to take a look. A friend of mine owns the place, many upgrades. He only moved out because he got a job in the north suburbs.

Email me directly at sarahz@jamsonsir.com
I live on 47th & Prairie looking to move out. Area sucks!!!
Your best bet is to contact the local police dept for street specific crime stats.

Chris
I have lived and worked in that area for years. Although they are renovating a lot of the buildings and gentrifying the area, I would say that caution and being aware of your surroundings are the key words if you choose to live in this area.
I would also recommend checking with you school and see what areas of the city they might provide shuttle service too and from.
safe like how..like fighting parts of Iraq or like Disney land..they do not even serve beer in the Magic Kingdom..they really do not serve it in Iraq either now that I think of it...so I suggest a picnic basket in the park Saturday and you file a report here on Trulia..I can tell you this..if the rent is less , the place is not as perfect..its all about the rent high rent is normally more safe
I agree with Bill and Matt on this one Bradley. Take time to really visit the area in all types of hours of the day. Have a meal at one of the local restaurants and talk to the waiters about the neighborhood. There is no research like your own research when it comes to safety in real estate. Good Luck!
I should have noted that I am moving from out of state and have never lived in Chicago. I'm quite unfamiliar with the city, specifically the South side. I plan on biking when weather permits and taking the bus when it doesn't.
Safe is a relevant term. Visit the area and get a feel for the neighborhood yourself. How will you be going to U of C, ...walking, bike, car, bus, El?
We cant comment on things of this nature. However, you can go to crimebyblock.com

Also go there yourself at all different times of the day and night. Only you can be the judge for whats best for you.