Crime & Safety in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Philip, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I am interested in the properties around the address: 1044 Smith St SW. Some people told me that it is a safe neighbourhood.

Asked by Philip, Atlanta, GA Wed Jun 20, 2012

But I check it out from the crime map on trulia.com, and i see that the area is not entirely "green", indeed with some "yellow" and "red" areas. Can you tell me the crime situation in this area?

Answers

5
Usually, no one breaks into occupied properties. Just make sure to get an alarm system, motion-sensitive flood lights and may be good to get a house sitter if ever away for a while. Don't leave anything valuable in plain sight in car, etc. Most of the crime in Pittsburgh is property crime, not violent crime. Still, it's best to stay indoors when really late.
Because of all the vacant houses, there are a lot of homeless people and squatters. At night you will see prostitutes. Then there are those individuals who still sell drugs.I don't hear too much about break ins.
I live in the Pittsburgh area and the crime is still here. It has improved slightly. Police presence has increased some but not enough. There are, however, numerous homes that are foreclosed or vacant and I'm noticing people are investing in them and flipping for a greater profit. Hope I was some help to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
That was really good advice Dave
Hi Philip,

As Realtors, we cannot tell you that an area is safe or not. It is a violation of Georgia License Law. We can however suggest where to find various kinds information. You have taken the first step by investigation crime reports on-line. If you have not already done so, look at the Atlanta Police Department's website too. They proivide very detailed information about types, location and date crimes occured. Use Google Streetview to explore the area virtually, but pay attention to how old the photographs are.

The most important think to do is to visit the area yourself at various times of day and of the week. Walk around the neighborhood, talk to people who live there, and judge for yourself. You might stop by the local police precinct too and get their thoughts.

Best of Luck,

Dave Herren
Best Atlanta Properties
404-425-4945