blendingwell, Other/Just Looking in Sacramento, CA

I am considering Central Oak Park neighborhood area for first modest home purchase to live in for 4-5 years, then flip/lease out; is crime any better?

Asked by blendingwell, Sacramento, CA Sat Nov 16, 2013

I'm a single woman and I want to be able to sleep at night. Crime maps pretty active but I cannot afford the better areas, plus many of the homes are very cute and interesting, and looks like deals can be had. If this neighborhood came up, it would be very desirable, given the architecture. Comments, please. Thank you.

Answers

7
You should go walk the neighborhood and talk to the neighbors who live there. That's the best way to get a feel for any neighborhood. Streets change block by block, too. I agree that the homes in Central Oak Park are adorable, but I don't know about flipping. Sounds like you just need a place to live. You might want to concentrate on just buying a nice home in an area where your feel comfortable, after talking with the neighbors and looking at available homes in that area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 16, 2013
The area has had a bad rep for years. However, the residents are working very hard to clean it up. One thing, often enough it is not the people that live in the community, it's the outside criminals that make it their way of life. Really any where you look there is an element for crime. One just needs to be aware of their surroundings. The media doesn't help when they televise areas where law enforcement has been reduced due to budget cuts. Talk to other residents and drive through during the day and night, as well as on the weekends to satisfy your comfort zone. Home invasions and burglaries happen everywhere. Career criminals often look for homes with no security systems, or parade themselves as solicitors/survey takers, etc., looking for an easy hit. Leave an outside light on and add night lights in a few rooms. Toss an old pair of men's work boots on the porch. If I am going outside to take out trash, check mail or do laundry, I often yell out a few words to my invisible insignificant other. The appearance that you are not alone lessens the thought that you are "an easy target". I also carry pepper spray (Amazon has it for $5-$10), and I am not shy to vocalize a little hysteria if needed. Good Luck to you and your house hunting! (PS, use a good Realtor, they want you to be safe and positive feedback via social media goes a long way!). STEVE GOLDBERG in Fairfield was excellent to work with and I let it be known to all.
If you are worried about crime then it is best to crime map and look at the areas you are comfortable with. Drive around the area and get familiar with it. Maybe even talk to some of the neighbors to get a feel for the neighborhood.

It is ultimately up to you where you want to live, so doing research ahead of time will highly benefit you.

Good luck in your search.
I agree to walk around the neighborhood. The best time to get a feel for the area is during the evening and weekends. That way you can get a feel for the neighborhood during different times of the day. Talk to neighbors and get the scoop on the neighborhood. Talking with those that have lived in the neighborhood gets you the best information and insight. I hope this helps and good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 17, 2013
I actually have 2 listings that are in the Oak Park area. There are also new developments that are being built on Broadway near 35th street. I can definitely see the value in Oak Park begin to rise, especially with all of the new developments. If that is an area that you are interested in living in, I think you should make your move before prices jump up even higher. If I can be of any assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kyle Davis
Lyon Real Estate
BRE# 01931994
916-628-8203
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 16, 2013
Hi Blendingwell,
I personally live and have my home office in Central Oak Park. I am very comfortable here and plan on staying a long time. In fact I have even invested in a couple other rental homes in my neighborhood. Overall, Oak Park is a neighborhood that has some very nice parts and some not so very nice parts. Oak Park is a great value and you can find many wonderful 1920's - 1950 homes with lots of old time charm. If you would like an opinion on any particular listing location, please feel free to contact me. Good luck on your search!
Respectfully,
Philip Velez
PV Realty
916-271-1399
Hi Philip,
Oops! I forgot to leave my name: "Kat". Thank you for your reply. Just like most "bad" neighborhoods, 98% of the residents are nice people! As a single, middle-aged woman, my priorities about safety do play an important part. I look forward to my intended move to the area next summer (I'm a re-entry student at UC Davis). I am excited to be exploring the neighborhoods of the Sacramento area!
Flag Sat Nov 16, 2013
Greetings!
This area is trending upward and there are a lot of cute homes, as well as potential redevelopment. I would be happy to assist you in your search.
Wendy Brown
Elite Realty Services
BRE # 01468575
916-236-9942