jsmccarren, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

I am a 27 year old, 130 lb woman. Would this be a safe place for me to live??

Asked by jsmccarren, Brooklyn, NY Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

7
Anna M Brocco’s answer
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
Dear jsmcarren:

You should do a Google search using the zip code and the words "crime statistics." You can also visit the local police precinct. Similar to beauty being in the eyes of the beholder... this is a subjective question and different people may have different perceptions of an area. You need to research it and see for yourself. Do you know people in the area? Talk to local store owners as well. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
The neighborhood is changing., But still there is a way. There are areas better than others. Number of times I went back really late from work and saw few girls return from the train .. I guess the neighborhood is changing fast.
My response to one reader ~This is the most intelligent response i have viewed so far. You stated, "God protected me the first time, there won't be a second." I must agree that you re very smart for not wanting to visit a second time.... I just don't understand why people want to move in an area where they need to be afraid to walk day or night? I would just stay where i am;granted, people have the right to live where they please. Some of us can't go to certain areas within, or even outside of New York without feeling uncomfortable. I reside in Bed Stuy, the new comers(white people) are really treated with respect. This is not the same treatment a African American receives if he or she relocates to Bensonhurst or even upstate NY. There is a plethora of postings and comments on safety issues while residing in Bed Stuy. Of course the Realtor will say all is okay because they want the commission. You must feel comfortable where u live. I would just stay where i'm at . Crime is everywhere;it just what's reported. The Realtors' are doing an excellent job of steering, blockbusting and so on{[unfortunately}] so you will be okay soon
Yes it is a safe neighborhood, one of the many safer ones out of brooklyn, if you like i can show you some safe places, feel free to call me at 917 709 0332
Safety involves more than age, weight, and sex. It involves good judgment when walking outside. It involves your ability to defend yourself. It involves the particular building and particular block you're on. It might depend on what floor you're living on. It can depend on your work hours.

If you want to get an idea of its relative safety, go to the neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon and talk to some of the people who live there. Ask them. And then get in your car and observe what it's like on Saturday night. That'll also give you an idea.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Jsmccarren,
This is not the kind of question a real estate agent can answer. I would suggest you contact the local precinct and inquire about crime statistics.