Crime & Safety in 89123>Question Details

Rick, Both Buyer and Seller in 92026

I am Looking at the Property Crime chart and the Violent Crime chart, and my question is: How does one

Asked by Rick, 92026 Sun Aug 2, 2009

determine if the area has high crime rate? Well, are these numbers high? or what percentage is a good indicator that there is less crime?

Answers

6
Rick - I agree with my colleague. The website that illustrates what crime is happening in the area is a snapshot of what's happening during a certain time period. In order to determine if the numbers are high or low, check other zip codes in Las Vegas to make your own opinion of the amount or type of crime in the area.

What your tolerance is may be different for someone else. If the crime stats show domestic violence vs. auto theft, you can decide how much of a factor that is. I had one mentor explain it to me this way:

I was driving around Las Vegas showing a prospective buyer areas around town. This area is mostly new, this area is about 20 years old, blah, blah, blah. When suddenly, gunfire erupted, a street walker hit the street, and two drug dealers interupted from their transaction with a buyer ran for cover. The buyer looked around and said, "Wow! Where are we?" "Why, we're in ... area. This activity has been known to occur here off and on." The buyer said "Great! This is my kind of area! Find me a house here!" So its never up to us to prejudge a buyer based on his tolerance for crime in an area.

Heather Peck
Rosen & Company West
702-595-7380
LasVegasExpert@yahoo.com
http://www.HeatherSellsVegas.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 2, 2009
Hi Rick,

I own properties throughout the Las Vegas Valley. Most of them being single family residential that I lease out.

Rather than look at crime charts and maps I take it upon myself to do my own research.

You're trusting someone else to give you accurate data. Go look at the property, walk the streets before you buy. What does the area look like after 5pm and on the weekends.

If you're interested in looking at some properties in Vegas let me know.

You can reach me at 702-612-1584

Becky Cordova
702-612-1584
You could use http://www.Trulia.com - Stats & Trends / Community Info to gain an average/overall statistics knowledge of the areas.

Then, when you have narrowed down your choices, I highly recommend you to use a GPS and drive around the neighborhoods of your choices in different times of the day - morning, afternoon, nights and weekends. Do this exercise and you will have solid knowledge and confident of the area for your self.
You can find several links to crime stats and area comparison charts here:
http://lasvegasneighborhoodnews.com/post/922636/moving-to-la…

Community reports allows you to compare zip codes to each other and to the national average. You can experiment with the metro site comparing your areas of interest to see which has higher or lower crime rates around the valley.

I think it's equally, if not more important to visit neighborhoods in person. See how they feel to you. Talk to other people in the neighborhood and in the stores and parks nearby.

Damon Botticelli
Realty One Group
(702) 523-7713
Heather,

I don't know what type of buyers your mentor is working with, but I don't know too many buyers that would be so thrilled about purchasing a home in an area like that. That would be a pretty crazy buyer in my opinion. Maybe they were relocating from somewhere very boring with no activity and they just wanted some action around their new home.

Regardless, your story had me cracking up!

Len McGuirk
Rick:

I'm not entirely clear on your question but I use the metro crime stats as a tool to determine what's going on in that neighborhood and the surrounding area (I like to see what's happening in my neighborhood as well). Are there violent crimes like rapes or murders or are they most likely teens tagging etc. out of summer boredom (not violent but annoying).

Some parts in 89123 are high density (lots of homes crammed into a development) so it’s all relative...there are so many bodies in a radius the percentage could potentially be higher.

Compare it to the neighborhood you currently live in to see what the statistics look like. I guess my point is Las Vegas is a big city now and there is no place that has zero crime; the data available is a tool for you to determine if you're comfortable with what's happening in the surrounding area.