Crime & Safety in Front Park>Question Details

Amy, Home Buyer in Buffalo, NY

How safe is Vermont and Normal? Single Mom w bike riding teen,Thanks

Asked by Amy, Buffalo, NY Thu Aug 22, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/rental/3104606308-229-Vermont-St-Buffa…

Answers

4
As a Realtor, we cannot give you an answer to this question. However we can provide you with information to help you make an educated decision. Drive around the area in the afternoon, and evening to get a feel for the residents. I will provide you a link below to a website that gives you information on crime in the area. Also contact the local Police Department and ask about violent crimes, they will also be able to give you an answer about safety. Good luck with your search!
Pretty safe but 2 blocks away is questionable
I own several higher-quality rental properties on the West Side. That area is "so so". Anything from CT south is quite nice, especially near D'Youville and the whole area south of the college and along Porter as it turns into the downtown. If looking to purchase for price range of Vermont/Normal, I'd suggest trying further north and east - try Grant/Lafayette area - esp streets like Greenwood, Herkimer and Hoyt within one block north of Lafayette. The whole area is improving quickly, so like Rob says - best to drive the area at different times. Also, stop into the stores on Grant to chat. Many owners live in the area.
Also- Renting for now- or rent w option!
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
Thanks James- Im living on Pooley so I know how quickly change can happen- Unfortunatley after 8 years I have to go- black mold-roofleaks and stolen/vandalised belongings are forcing me out of this apartment...I had an accidet (was hit and run ) and cant lift more than a phone book so packin is slow going -and Im pretty entrenched ... I just keep looking ....please feel free to suggest rentals or a good place to look. Craigs list rife w spammy scammy stuff !
Peace and Thank You Amy
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
As much as I understand your concern as a parent, Realtors are prohibited from giving their opinion on a neighborhood's "safety" as it is considered discriminatory. That said, I advise taking a drive by the house and through he area on different days and different times and use your best judgement. Tuesday at 10am might look much different than Saturday at 10:00pm.

Good luck with your new place.